[LTER-im] RFC regarding LTER Data Portal Evaluate/Upload Interface

Duane Costa dcosta.lternet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 10:38:01 PDT 2017

Currently, the LTER Data Portal provides four different ways to submit EML
for evaluation or upload to PASTA:

   1.

   EML Metadata File -- Browse to an EML file on your local system and then
   select Evaluate or Upload;
   2.

   EML Document URLs -- Enter a list of EML document URLs into a text box,
   one per line, and then select Evaluate or Upload.;
   3.

   Copy EML Metadata Text -- Copy and paste the XML text for a single EML
   metadata document into a text box and then select Evaluate or Upload; or,
   4.

   Metacat Harvest List URL -- Enter the URL of a Metacat Harvest List and
   then select Evaluate or Upload. All documentURL elements in the harvest
   list will be processed.

(Note: Options 3 and 4 are only viewable when you click on the “+” button
labeled “More Options for Upload”.)

Work is currently in progress that involves this part of the Data Portal
user interface. We (the EDI team) expect that end-users rarely, if ever,
use options 3 or 4. Because it would help simplify the work in progress, it
would be our preference to eliminate options 3 and 4 from the user
interface, but first we’d like to hear from you.

If you do find options 3 and/or 4 useful and would prefer that they remain
in the evaluate/upload user interface, please send us an email with your
comments to support at environmentaldatainitiative.org by 9/15/17.

Thanks,

The EDI Developer Team