[LTER-im] IMC News Letter and Quiz

Gastil Gastil-Buhl gastil.gastil-buhl at ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 14 16:27:19 PDT 2017

Dear LTER site IMs,

EDI sends out frequent informative newsletters so IM Exec decided we should
do this too, though less frequently and focused only on LTER IM issues. The
EDI newsletter is a hard act to follow. So, feeling a need to be different,
our newsletter includes an anonymous self-quiz
<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZGY3NFY> titled *'Ten short things every
LTER IM needs to know now.'*

In preparation for our annual meeting, by now everyone has their hotel
reservation and flight info but not everyone has listed themselves on this
spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BnNBPXbqG91aCB9B_i8rjwYkwdFVmQv9VoGPJEFEYpE/>
facilitate ride sharing and ad hoc activities.

ESIP offers GoToMeeting for those not in person, including the IMC day.
Please be available July 24 for the survey monkey to vote. The nominee
statements <http://im.lternet.edu/project/nominee_statements_2017> will
appear before then, but are not yet posted. Two nominees are willing so
far, for two open seats. Nominations remain open until the meeting. The
agenda is still going thru fine tuning and will be posted as a more
readable doc soon. Our IMC day is full! Those who want to give a Lightning
Talk should reserve their spot on the signup sheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GP7ASpvjZDungl66UaBf3rEpr5oKIoZXEpa5LCu5W2E/>
so we know how much time to allocate.

*So, what's new?*
Several changes have completed or are in the Request For Comment process.
Last May the EB finalized the new LTER Data Policy, defaulting to CC-BY and
retaining the option of including customized intellectual rights in data
packages. The revised Site Guidelines for IM Systems was finalized last
spring. Comments on the RFC for SiteDB are due today, July 15th. SiteDB and
PersonnelDB have been frozen for updates and are being archived.

EDI has been hosting some informative and well presented online live and
recorded tutorials on topics such as making EML using R, and the PASTA API.
A schedule
<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/training-workshops-seminars/> is
posted on their website.

We have five new site IMs, all of which will join us at the annual meeting,
three presenting an overview of their IM Systems.

*So, what's not new?*
Some things have not changed. Meeting notes still get posted on the
im.lternet.edu site. We continue our monthly "Water Coolers" and IM Exec
meetings, and four Working Groups have been active. The EML Congruency
Checker WG finished 4 checks and is working hard on the most challenging
check for dateTime.

Another thing which has not changed is that we all continue to submit our
data packages to portal.lternet.edu and those still get synchronized to
DataONE.

Perhaps much of this news is not so new. We just want to be sure everyone
is informed as we gather for our annual meeting. The little quiz is
anonymous and optional. You may re-take it as many times as you like.

See you all on July 24th,
Gastil