[LTER-im] Minor change to PASTA web service API for search

Duane Costa dcosta.lternet at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:30:36 PDT 2017

This email will be of interest to LTER IMs or others who are currently
using the PASTA API web services for searching data packages through our
Apache Solr index. Anyone not currently using this web service can safely
ignore this message.

The PASTA web service API for searching data packages is documented here:

http://pastaplus-core.readthedocs.io/en/latest/doc_
tree/pasta_api/data_package_manager_api.html#browse-and-discovery

For reasons of simplicity, we would like remove three XML elements from the
search results that have never been documented as part of the API but have
been retained in case there is extant client code that relies on them.
These three undocumented elements are also redundant with three
corresponding elements that are documented in the API.

The undocumented elements that we propose to remove from the search results
are the "<docid>", "<packageId>" and "<pubDate>" elements. Client programs
that are coded to use the contents of these elements should be updated to
use the contents of the corresponding documented versions of these
the latter two differ only in the case of one character: "packageId" versus
"packageid", and "pubDate" versus "pubdate".)

Below is an example query demonstrating how the XML search results will
appear before and after we make the change to remove the three redundant,
undocumented elements:

Query:
curl -X GET "https://pasta.lternet.edu/package/search/eml?defType=
edismax&start=0&rows=50&q=*&fq=scope:edi*&fl=id,packageid,
pubdate&sort=score,desc&sort=packageid,asc&debug=false"

Current search results (first returned document only):

<document>
    <id>edi.1</id>
    <docid>edi.1</docid>
    <packageid>edi.1.1</packageid>
    <packageId>edi.1.1</packageId>
    <pubdate>2016</pubdate>
    <pubDate>2016</pubDate>
</document>

After we make the proposed change:

<document>
    <id>edi.1</id>
    <packageid>edi.1.1</packageid>
    <pubdate>2016</pubdate>
</document>

We would like to deploy this change to PASTA in 2-3 weeks. Please let me
know of any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Duane