[LTER-im] Workshop invitation - data manipulation and management for population/community/biodiversity datasets - June 6-8 [Imap]/Sent x

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Mon Apr 10 20:22:52 PDT 2017

Hello all -
I believe this message went to im-at-lternet on Friday, but there may have
been some problem with delivery, so I am resending. If this is a duplicate,
sorry for the clutter.

This is an invitation to the first EDI workshop on thematic
standardization, where we will concentrate on datasets pertaining about
populations, communities and biodiversity, e,g., with organism abundance
and density, etc.
---------
The Environmental Data Initiative (EDI) is an NSF-funded project tasked
with supporting data curation for several ecosystem-level programs.
Building on the premise that synthesis research would be easier if similar
datasets were presented or formatted in a similar manner, EDI is creating
best practice recommendations for thematically grouped datasets.

This initial workshop will address dataset formats, metadata content and
data manipulation scripts in the thematic area of long-term studies of
populations, communities and biodiversity. These data are currently of
particularly high demand for several synthesis projects. We would like to
assemble a group of data scientists involved with those projects and data
managers familiar with the data to address the  high degree of
heterogeneity and availability/discoverability of the data. The workshop
has three major goals: (1)  to assist with data assembly/formatting needs
for population and community data, (2) summarize the formats, code,
packaging patterns, metadata content, and vocabularies that work best, and
(3) build formal recommendations for data providers.

We invite you to attend this workshop June 6-8, at the University of New
Mexico, Albuquerque. The EDI has participant support funds for travel,
accommodation and meals. Since this is planned to be a relatively small
group (12-15) with hands-on work, we will tailor workshop activities to the
participants specific needs. For that reason, we do not yet have a formal
agenda, but will certainly be developing one with your input.

You may reserve space by responding to this message by Monday April 17 at
the latest. However, because this is a small group, space may be filled
before then.

Important dates:
Mon, April 17, COB participant list finalized
Mon, April 17 logistics posted
Tu-Th, June 6-8 - Workshop in Albuquerque (travel on Mon/Fri)

best,
Margaret

Margaret O'Brien
Information Management