[LTER-im] LTER Data Access Policy Request for Comments

James Laundre jlaundre at mbl.edu
Mon Apr 10 13:00:57 PDT 2017

HI Corinna,

I think that it's good that we are going through a review of the policy. My comments are more of suggestions for clarity and understanding.

The EDI default text based on CC0 at first does not seem that different from CC BY - Attribution. It's not until you try to figure out the differences that under CC By- Attribution a data user must give appropriate credit and indicate if changes are made. While for CC0 ".. there is no legal requirement that you attribute the affirmer, only an expectation that you will voluntarily do so if requested."

So I would suggest for the wording of the policy for the default text following "No Rights Reserved" that the attribution is requested but voluntary. Otherwise data providers may have false expectations.

Thanks,

Jim