[LTER-im] Does LTER leave copyright up to the individual researchers?

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 1 09:21:49 MST 2016

Hi Jonathan -
If they are asking how to attribute the dataset, I would suggest that
they use a citation with the dataset DOI, like the ones on
portal.lternet.edu. Those citations resemble citation for an academic
paper.

If they want to use the data for some profit-making venture, that is
probably up to the site (as the owner) to allow or not. SBC's policy for
what kind of re-use is permissible is in our data use agreement - in the
intellectualRights section of datasets, and on our website. We say 'no
commercial use', but of course, have no way of enforcing that.

Margaret

Margaret O'Brien
Information Management
Santa Barbara Coastal LTER