[LTER-im] GIS and DEIMS

Inigo San Gil inigo.sangil at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 16:13:32 MDT 2016

Hello friends,

At DEIMS, we have experimented further with GIS data: how to integrate it,
how to show it and foremost, respect the GIS origins.

GIS data users move their data in archives that contain all resources
necessary to be interpreted by their favorite apps. As a data information
management system, DEIMS strives to preserve the data in its most usable
state. In the GIS case that seems to be zipped archives.

DEIMS has experimented in three fronts regarding GIS, with the above
guidelines in mind.

Consequently, DEIMS came up with three variations of the default regular
tabular-oriented dataset:

1) Offer a GIS specific layout that caters to the GIS user.  It simplifies
the details, relaxing the atomization of the variables and tabular-oriented
metadata.

2) EML / ESRI : We import GIS assets from EML using a XML-migration.  If
your GIS is in ESRI, you can couple that with the crosswalk we developed
"esri2eml".

2) DEIMS EML services for GIS: Use of the "other entity" branch: We see no
application that uses EMLs "spatialRaster/Vector" branches. Original,
usable GIS metadata is conveniently packed in the GIS archive.

These new developments are brought to you in collaboration with the Plum
Island Ecosystems LTER -- the PIE LTER funds this effort and collaborated
in the intellectual process as well.  The code is now checked in the PIE
custom repository <http://github.com/lter/deims-pie-custom>. We may
consider including it in the core DEIMS in a future release.

Inigo