[LTER-im-rep] One-question survey for the LTER education committee

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 6 14:07:03 PDT 2018

Hi IM-reps -
The education committee is planning some ASM sessions, and has this
one-question survey for the site IM reps.

Q: Does your site collect any info on dataset downloads for educational use?
Choose one:
Yes
No
Well, I'd like to qualify that...

If you answered "Y" or "qualify", please share what you know!
this can take any form: your impressions, anecdotes, or a download record.
See below for an example, from SBC

You can answer by replying just to me (please, not all!), and I'll collate
the answers for Alan et al.
Thanks -
Margaret

>From SBC's:
A: Yes, qualified

Additional info:  Our local catalog asks downloaders for an email address
and to state their use ("Education K12" is one of the choices; undergrad
education is not). It would take me a little while to assemble the data, so
I'll put that off until there is a more specific request. However, my
general impression is that the most often downloaded datasets for K12-use
are the kelp forest community time-series. We know that SBC datasets are
exposed thru other catalogs, too (EDI, DataONE, LTER), and as far as I
know, those catalogs do not keep track of what users do with the data.

Margaret O'Brien
ORCID: 0000-0002-1693-8322
Information Management
Marine Science Institute, UCSB