[LTER-im-rep] EAGER grant updates

Corinna Gries cgries at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 24 09:23:09 MST 2015

Dear All,

I would like to update you on the activities that are going on funded through the EAGER grant Margaret, Phil and myself received earlier this year. You may remember that we planned this during our 2014 IM meeting in Colorado. Originally the proposal was geared towards conceptualizing LTER information management based on the discussions we had in 2014. After submitting the proposal we were asked by NSF to broaden the scope to include 'all' environmental data repositories and other projects involved in this area. The first workshop 'Collaborative strategies for sustained environmental data management' was held last week in Tempe, AZ and most of you LTER IMs, who had self-identified an interested in participating were able to make it plus a wide range of people from other projects.

Phil and Ann Chiu (hired as workshop coordinator) have done a great job putting together some pre-workshop informational material which I am attaching to this e-mail for your perusal.

The first follow-up activity will be to initiate a new cluster within ESIP, which will give us their collaboration support with a wiki, mailing list, face to face meetings, and online meetings for a broad group of interested parties. The discussion started at the workshop will be continued there and at the ESIP winter meeting (http://commons.esipfed.org/2016WinterMeeting). ESIP meetings provide remote access to most sessions for anyone interested and we can support one IM from LTER to go and participate in person. Please let me know a.s.a.p. if you would like to participate for LTER IM and feel that you have a good overview of the current broader environmental information management landscape and ideas of where we should go. The pertinent sessions may be a bit ad-hoc since this all came about pretty late to be properly integrated with the upcoming winter meeting, but Erin Robinson was very accommodating. More workshops will follow, probably in the context of ESIP meetings.

Please stay tuned for the ESIP cluster where we will post all workshop materials. (BTW, we are still searching for a catchy name for the cluster, if you have any ideas, please let us know.)

I would like to thank Phil, the local host arranging for hotels and meeting rooms, which all worked out beautifully, and the design team overall: Margaret, Phil, Ann, and our facilitator Glyn Thomas for a lot of hard work designing and running the workshop. We still have a long way to go in the process of conceptualizing sustainable environmental information management and we hope many of you will be involved in follow-up activities. The outcome of this exercise will certainly influence how we do IM in LTER in a few years.

Thanks
Corinna