[LTER-im-rep] Vote to move forward with IM data management exercise

Ken Ramsey kramsey at jornada-vmail.nmsu.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:35:50 MDT 2015

Hi Phillip,

I am afraid I have to agree with Eda and Inigo that we do not have enough information to make this decision at this point in time. My PIs feel the data center should be science driven. And that input and involvement of the IMs is critical and that they depend us to let them now what is possible or not and to point out alternatives that require less resources to develop. They do not want to be involved in the details as much as the functionality of tools that allow them to explore, manipulate, and analyze data from PASTA to support cross site research projects. I totally agree with them.

I assume if the plan evolves (especially governance model) so it meets the needs of the entire LTER community. At this point in time, I do not feel comfortable in voting. I would second the motion to delay the vote until the IM Meeting. This does not preclude advancing our plans and incorporating our site PIs input. Once we have larger buy in, the outcome of the vote will be assured.

Ken

-------------------------------
Ken Ramsey
Data Manager
Jornada LTER Project
New Mexico State University
2995 Knox Street, suite 200
Box 30003, MSC 3JER
Las Cruces, NM 88003
(575)646-7918 (office)
(575)646-5889 (fax)
kramsey at jornada-vmail.nmsu.edu
-------------------------------

>>> Philip Tarrant <philip.tarrant at asu.edu> 2015-07-30 09:23 AM >>>
Dear colleagues,

The link below is now active for the vote on developing a proposal for discussion with NSF.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MWDH555

Please consider the following when voting:

1)      This vote is in support (or not) of the general NIMO model presented during the VTCs last week.

2)      The size and composition of the governance committee is still subject to change and we will continue to collect feedback from IMs and the EB on specifically what this should look like.

3)      The election model is not set in stone, and again we should continue to develop that to ensure we have sensible levels of IM input and representation.

4)      If we get a "Yes" vote, we will devote a large part of our annual meeting on August 30 to developing this model further. So, you still have an important opportunity to contribute to the piece that you find most interesting. Further opportunities will follow, I am sure! In particular, we should focus on the processes for collecting input from both our community and the scientists we serve, as well as planning and prioritization mechanisms.

The link will be active until midnight next Wednesday, August 5 (in reality 8am PDT Thursday, but midnight sounds more dramatic :)), to give everyone time to vote. However, please do make sure you vote as we want a full IMC response.

Thank you for your support and cooperation.

Philip Tarrant
Director, Informatics and Technology | Senior Sustainability Scientist
[http://sustainability.asu.edu/docs/gios/signature/images/logo.jpg]
P.O. Box 875402 | Tempe, Arizona | 85287-5402
PH: 480-727-7860   |   Main: 480-965-2975 | sustainability.asu.edu<http://sustainability.asu.edu/>