[LTER-hbr_grad] Hubbard Brook Graduate Student Data Survey

Mary Martin mary.martin at unh.edu
Sun May 16 06:35:17 PDT 2021

Hubbard Brook Grads,

In the past year, we've submitted quite a few datasets to the
Environmental Data Initiative (EDI) repository from graduate studies at
Hubbard Brook. A data citation from EDI will satisfy the 'data
availability' requirement that you will likely encounter as you publish
your work. My job is to work with you to prepare and submit final data
products to the repository, and it's never too early to start this
process! The first step is to let me know what data you are collecting
at Hubbard Brook by filling out the form at this
linkhttps://form.jotform.com/83314461335149
A new feature in EDI will allow us to publish a data package (data plus
metadata), and embargo the download of the actual data file until your
paper is accepted - this is really helpful, since the data citation
(with DOI) can be provided to a publisher at the same time you submit
your manuscript.

The Environmental Data Initiative (EDI) is the primary data repository
for LTER sites. They have some great resources that cover best practices
for managing and publishing your data:
https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/resources/five-phases-of-data-publishing/
<https://environmentaldatainitiative.org/resources/five-phases-of-data-publishing/>
I think you may find some helpful information there.

For Hubbard Brook, we use the attached template to gather all of the
metadata associated with your dataset.

I'm looking forward to working with you!

-Mary