[LTER-hbr-im] Watershed 6 Diversity Question

Langguth, Jessica jl356316 at ohio.edu
Wed Mar 27 08:22:14 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am Jessica Langguth, an undergraduate Plant Biology student at Ohio University. I have been using the "Forest Inventory of a Northern Hardwood Forest: Watershed 6, 2012, Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest" data (from https://portal.edirepository.org/nis/mapbrowse?packageid=knb-lter-hbr.150.2) to practice statistical analyses in Rstudio.

I generated the following graph of Shannon Diversity at plots of different elevations:

[cid:7fc2c278-4b8c-4523-9e5b-d4fa9c593566]

I was surprised to see such an increase in diversity at high elevations, especially given the downwards slope of the data in the 500-750m range. Do you have any knowledge of Watershed 6 or its ecosystem type that might explain this increase in diversity?

Thank you,

Jessica Langguth