[LTER-grad-rep] Quick general instructions for grad rep talks

Ross Boucek rbouc003 at fiu.edu
Sun Aug 23 12:12:47 MDT 2015

Hi Grad reps,

Last email for today!  Here are guidelines to help with your talks. I will
send a schedule with afternoon working groups and presentation times
Tuesday evening.

*Date and time: 8-1, sunday August 30th*

*Length: 8-10 minutes*

*Purpose of your talks*: *To provide a primer on your site science to LTER
student community. *  One concern from students at the 2012 ASM was that
they didnt really figure out what research goes on at each site until the
end of the ASM. This lack of site knowledge was a barrier to cross-site
collaborations and caused and alot of time spent in workng groups just
getting familiar with site science.  We hope that this symposium addresses
this problem.

*Sections to cover in your talk: *

1) Site history: which includes site location, year started, impactful and
important findings from your site

2) Current site hypotheses

3) Highlight some work from grad students at your site that are attending
the ASM.

*Other guidelines:*

1)  Minimize technical jargon, the audience will have diverse research
backgrounds

2) Minimize the use of data heavy figures (maybe one per section)

3) Spend time on the conceptual framework for your site.

4) If highlighting student work, add a photo of that student so interested
parties can track them down

*Guidelines are meant be vague to facilitate diversity in presentation
styles, and material covered. However, call me anytime this week if you
want to chat and hash out a plan for your talk (#239-272-2771). *

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions,

Ross Boucek M.S.
Research Assistant
PhD candidate Department of Biology
Florida International University *Miami's Public Research University*
Long Term Ecological Research Network graduate student co-chair
American Fisheries Society Network student sub-unit president elect