[LTER-education] Fwd: [obfs-mail-list] Fwd: Urgent: The Virtual Field Educational Materials

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 21 11:27:05 PDT 2020

HI folks,
Please share as appropriate.
Cheers, Marty

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Claudia Luke <lukec at sonoma.edu>
Date: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM
Subject: [obfs-mail-list] Fwd: Urgent: The Virtual Field Educational
Materials
To: obfs-mail-list Sympa List <obfs-mail-list at ucdavis.edu>

Hi OBFS,

*We need your help!* Over 50 field stations and marine laboratories are
working together to create virtual cross-site experiences for faculty and
students during the pandemic (and we hope you will join us). The first set
of materials and events are ready and we need your help getting them to the
faculty and students that need them.

*The next live from the field event is this Wed Sep 23 *from 11am-12pm PDT
(2pm-3pm EDT).

Could you send the announcement to your faculty contacts ASAP? I've
included below a draft email and social media post that you can use. A
flyer with links to registration and materials is attached.

*Thank you! *(Please shoot me a quick email letting me know it went out).

Claudia (and Hilary, Sarah, Kerry, Kari and many more)

*Draft Email*

Dear Friends of [insert name of field station or marine lab],

Looking for virtual teaching materials to give students field experiences
during the pandemic? As a member of the Organization of Biological Field
Stations, the **insert name of field station***  is helping to bring the
field to you. Materials target university students but can be used to teach
students at all levels. The attached flyer provides links to:

   - A suite of videos giving students experience finding evidence of
   ecological, evolutionary and ecosystem concepts at field sites

   - Live events giving students opportunities to talk with researchers at
   their field sites. *The first live  event is this Wed Sep 23 *from
   11am-12pm PDT (2pm-3pm EDT).

All resources come with teaching guides.

The Virtual Field is a coalition of 50+ field stations and marine
laboratories around the globe that started working together this summer to
create materials for faculty and students hard hit by the pandemic. The
work is supported by a RAPID grant from the National Science Foundation.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way
with your teaching this fall.

Sincerely,

FSML Director

*Draft Social Media Post*
insert photo of your site or use this one

[image: image.png]

The Virtual Field: Fall 2020 Teaching Materials for Field Science Faculty

Do you want to introduce your students to ecosystems and field research
during the pandemic? As a member of the Organization of Biological Field
Stations, the [insert name of field station] is working with the Virtual
Field, a coalition of 50+ field stations and marine laboratories around the
globe, to create virtual teaching materials in the field sciences. The
Virtual Field is offering a suite of materials and teaching guides that
help instructors introduce students to field observation and research.
Materials target university students but can be used to teach students at
all levels. Link to flyer

--

___________________

Dr. Claudia Luke, PhD

Sustainability Programs Director

Director, Center For Environmental Inquiry

Sonoma State University

office: 707-664-3416 mobile: 707-536-8915

sonoma.edu/cei <http://www.sonoma.edu/cei>

*Video (3 min): **Creating an Environmentally Ready Society*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yGBC83JlQ&list=UUCcm22lYJCq72zVKJbk3PcA>

--

___________________

Dr. Claudia Luke, PhD

Sustainability Programs Director

Director, Center For Environmental Inquiry

Sonoma State University

office: 707-664-3416 mobile: 707-536-8915

sonoma.edu/cei <http://www.sonoma.edu/cei>

*Video (3 min): **Creating an Environmentally Ready Society*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yGBC83JlQ&list=UUCcm22lYJCq72zVKJbk3PcA>

--
Marty Downs (she/her/hers) ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office

 LTERNET.edu <https://twitter.com/USLTER> | LTER Zotero
<https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network/library> | LTER Twitter
<https://twitter.com/USLTER> | LTER YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsyi2-kL_cTcm6FOnek-bRA>

*~ It is sometimes convenient for me to send email on evenings
and weekends. *
*Please do not feel obligated to respond outside of your normal working
hours ~*