[LTER-education] Schoolyard Book Series in the time of COVID 19

Scott Simon scott.simon at ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 20 12:00:32 PDT 2020

Hi All,

I am not sure what each of your situations is at your site.  I have to come
in daily to take care of the animals at the REEF.  I am going to be putting
together some "REEFside Chats" for some of the schools we are working with
for the teachers to use to keep their kiddos engaged.  A couple will
address the science content panels in our Kelp book.  Marty's email made me
think how cool it could be if we could get the Schoolyard Book authors to
do a reading of their book online?!?!  If the Kelp Forest authors can't do
it, I'm down with doing it at the REEF!

I LOVED Jill Haukos reading at the ASM in Monterey!

Just a thought...

Stay Happy.  Stay Healthy,

Scott

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:17 PM Marty Downs <downs at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I know you are all scrambling to make online resources available to
> teachers and parents. Prompted by a question from Sarah Thorne at Hubbard
> Brook, I've inquired about making the Schoolyard e-books temporarily
> available for free. They are discussing it and will let us know if they
> have a way to manage that by close of business tomorrow.
>
> If you have your associated curriculum materials gathered somewhere, I can
> quickly put together a web resource that includes links to the ebooks and
> the curriculum materials that would be available for all to share.
>
> If you have them in one place, please shoot me a link. If you don't, my
> intention is not to sidetrack your other activities at this time, we'll
> work with what we have.
>
> Thanks, Marty
> --
> Marty Downs (she/her/hers)
> Director, LTER Network Office
>

> https://lternet.edu
> t: @USLTER
> f: USLTER
>
> National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
> University of California, Santa Barbara
> Office: 805-893-7549
> Cell: 617-833-7930
> downs at nceas.ucsb.edu

Scott E. Simon
Director-REEF
MSI Education & Outreach Program Manager
SBC-LTER Education Outreach Representative
Marine Science Institute-UCSB
Santa Barbara, CA
93106-6150
805-893-8765