[LTER-education] Examples of creative low cost evaluation?

Alexandra Rose alexandra.rose at colorado.edu
Sun Dec 13 20:16:07 PST 2020

Hi Everyone,
I'm working on a book chapter for the Handbook of Broader Impacts around evaluation. Our emphasis is on practical, low-cost evaluation strategies that researchers can use to get helpful feedback on their outreach. We're looking beyond surveys to see what all is out there that might be inspiring for faculty and broader impacts support staff as far as planning evaluation on outreach and education activities when hiring an evaluator is impractical or unnecessary. If you have any examples of successful non-surveys that you've used for formative or summative assessment, no matter how informal, we'd love to hear about them! We're trying to cover the range of hard-to-evaluate situations: one off speaking engagements; events with young children that don't read/write or don't have consent forms; demonstrations at festivals; virtual outreach activities, etc. We're also interested in options for non-surveys in situations where a survey would normally be used, but might interfere with the interactive and informal nature of the experience otherwise.

Thanks for your help!
Alex

Alexandra P. Rose, PhD
CU Science Discovery