[LTER-education] Remote collaboration training

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Apr 8 16:41:06 PDT 2020

Dear Education and Outreach Managers,

On our last call, several of you indicated that it would be helpful to have
some additional training and support on how to lead and steward online
collaborations and communities -- whether you're supporting parents in home
schooling or trying to figure out how to run a virtual REU program.

The Mozilla Foundation has developed a variety of best practices for what
they call "working open," or what I would call effective collaboration. A
previous version of the Mozilla course is available at The Open Leadership
Series
<https://mozilla.github.io/open-leadership-training-series/articles/readme/>
and I've recently learned that they are about to launch a new version
focused on *Movement Building from Home
<https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/blog/new-movement-building-home-community-calls/>.
The free series runs from April 14-May 7, 2020. *

This is the basic framework behind OpenScapes <https://www.openscapes.org/>,
led by Julia Stewart Lowndes, which Cora has touted and which you may have
seen recently in *Scientific American
<https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/open-software-means-kinder-science/>*
and *Nature <https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03335-4>*. The
techniques are pretty straightforward, but experiencing them in action is
the key to really grasping their potential.

The activist language can be off-putting at first for scientists, but the
basic skills are the same, whether your community is one of health care
workers, or urban tenants, STEM teachers, or REUs.

I encourage anyone looking to build these skills to register for the
Mozilla community calls and set aside a few hours a week over the next few
weeks. If we get critical mass, we can also identify a time in late April
or early May when we can get together to discuss how what you're learning
on the Mozilla calls applies to the challenges of doing remote education at
an LTER site.

Thanks,

Marty
--