[LTER-education] ASM follow up Data sets for data nuggets, social story

Liz Duff lduff at massaudubon.org
Fri Oct 5 11:12:58 PDT 2018

Jill,
Thanks for the photo, my apologies for missing our meeting date (and group shot).

To all,
Thanks for the concern expressed by many of you, I was mistaken about the travel date when I made my travel plans. I had every intention of being with you.

At any rate. I had a lot of good conversations and wanted to pass on a couple of ideas and resources.

Noelia was asking about how to think about data sets for data nuggets.

I have 9 data nuggets written from PIE-LTER.  The way I facilitated that (as an educator) was I presented to the PIE-LTER scientists about Data Nuggets, and asked who would be willing to help write one.  I
Made up a table of the scientists, their research focus and contact info.  I had them begin writing the background of the data nugget using the model.

I then shared the table with teachers taking a course with me, and as an assignment, groups of teachers worked with the scientist to finish the data nuggets. The teachers chose which nugget to work on based on their interest in the topic.   We got feedback from Elizabeth  Elizabeth Schultheis <eschultheis at gmail.com> and I worked further with the scientists on the final drafts. Some got bogged down, but many were finished in the end!

See attached grid.

Liz