[LTER-education] Nominate someone to join us at ASM!

Alan Berkowitz berkowitza at caryinstitute.org
Fri Jun 29 07:31:14 PDT 2018

Here are my thoughts about uses for this year’s funds, in rough priority
order.

1.       Ensuring that each LTER site is represented by someone from
education/outreach/engagement at the ASM.

2.       Support the REUxLTER initiative. We received funds from NSF (as a
supplement to the LNCO) to provide cross-site virtual sessions to
LTER-based REU students this summer, bring 15 REU’s to the ASM and plan a
longer-term initiative for REU across LTER (REUxLTER). Mentor scientists or
educators that could contribute to this effort but don’t have site funding
could be supported with the LTER Ed funds.

3.       Support the continued exploration/development of cross-site RET
programming. In this case, mentors, educators and most especially teachers
who have been LTER-based RET’s would be prime candidates for funding.

4.       Support the data literacy work. I recently met first hand with
folks (Dan Damelin, Chad Dorsey) from Concord Consortium of CODAP fame and
Andee Rubin from TERC. Though we opted NOT to have them present a workshop
for us at the ASM, I think their participation would be of great mutual
benefit.

If there is interest among the group in either 2 or 4, I’m happy to look
into potential applicants for the funds.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan R. Berkowitz, Ph.D.

Head of Education