[LTER-education] Database work at Harvard Forest

Snow, Pamela M. psnow at fas.harvard.edu
Fri May 26 10:08:23 PDT 2017

Hi Liz and LTER Ed Reps...

Yes, we at Harvard Forest are most fortunate to have an EXREMELY DEDICATED data manager, Emery Boose, who has created a very extensive database specifically for Schoolyard  project  data.

This system allows teachers or students to input data online by essentially filling in the blanks instead of relying on worksheets such as Excel.  It allow connects to field site data and to an online graphing system and interactive Google Maps of all field sites.
Each year, Emery seems to add more bells and whistles to this system, especially when Clarisse is  able to leverage additional funding for this as she has the past 2 years.   I feel very fortunate to be able to offer these tools to schools!

The main link to database is:

http://harvardforest2.fas.harvard.edu/asp/hf/php/k12/k12_project.php

You can download data and graph it without a password.  Password is only needed to submit new data.

Data can also be accessed via Google Maps by field  site location at:

http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/participating-schoolyard-field-sites

We host a special workshop each year (late fall or winter) for our participating teachers to learn how to manage and represent data. In the spring we usually have at least one teacher present to the larger network of teachers and staff how they are using their  data.

Congrats on the data work I am seeing at  other LTER sites.

Pamela

Pamela M. Snow
Schoolyard Ecology Coordinator
Harvard Forest
324 N. Main St.
Petersham, MA 01366
(978) 756-6146  on M, W,F
psnow at fas.harvard.edu
http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard-lter-program

"The nation behaves well if it treats the natural resources as assets which it must turn over to the next generation increased, and not impaired in value." ~ Theodore Roosevelt, American president and conservationist