[LTER-education] NCO education lead

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Jun 28 10:01:52 MDT 2016

Hi Art (and all)--

We have had a good deal of discussion about this at the NCO. I agree
there's an upside -- but there are also pretty significant downsides. These
include slowed communications and collaboration with the rest of the NCO; a
perception (real or not; intentional or not) of favoritism for the site
where they are located; the need to balance workloads with Site PIs (with
whom we need to maintain good relationships for all kinds of other
reasons).

The upshot of our discussions is that we will consider applications from
people who are not Santa Barbara-based, but these disadvantages will need
to be offset by some very significant assets. If two candidates appear to
be equal in other respects, we'll choose the one who is local.

I do encourage applications from the network -- but interested candidates
should come in with open eyes and a clear idea of how they would manage
those challenges.

Thanks, Marty

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu