[LTER-edu-rep] LTER mailman lists

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Apr 14 16:27:39 MDT 2016

Hi folks,
I'm sorry to send this out to so many of you, but I'm trying to sort out
the 120 LTER mailman lists. Many of them were clearly useful once, but may
no longer be and the transition to the NCO offers a sensible time to clean
house.

I'd like to identify which lists are no longer being used and also identify
a responsible individual for those that are being used -- and I need your
help.

I've created a spreadsheet with all the current mailman lists here:

*https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1trT5hHGR97NpBvQH1fd2VrUlJ7RhiS1gHJBrzeKWkMQ/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1trT5hHGR97NpBvQH1fd2VrUlJ7RhiS1gHJBrzeKWkMQ/edit?usp=sharing>*

If you are responsible for a site or a committee that might have a list in
the system (even if you currently use some other way of managing that list,
such as a google group or contact list in your own e-mail), please enter
your name next to that list and enter the alternative system you use in the
last column.

Network-wide lists are at the top of the sheet. Lists that appear to be
site-specific are farther down.

After your name and e-mail address, fill in as much additional information
about the list as you can, specifically:

   - Description of list membership
   I'm looking for a general understanding here not a list, so, for
   IM-rep at lists.lternet.edu, one designated information manager from each
   site, but for some ad hoc lists: people who signed up following X workshop
   on Y topic at the 2012 ASM.
   - Is the list moderated?
   Does a list owner have to approve messages?
   - Is the list actively used?
   - Last updated?
   To your knowledge -- when was the last time new members were added or
   old members removed?
   - Is there an alternative list?
   Do you use some other way of getting in touch with members? If so, what?

Many thanks for your help.

Marty

--
Marty Downs