[LTER-diversity] October LTER DEI committee meeting tomorrow - working groups!

Nameer Rahman Baker nameerbaker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 13:49:58 PDT 2021

Hello LTER Diversity committee,

It is that time again! We have our monthly LTER DEI committee meeting
*tomorrow,
from 3-4pm*, in the usual Zoom room <https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/826568709>. You
can find a link to our running agenda here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_D1FnCzTofZ6q4r4LxFbrkNbrSQNHERG9o9ZGDsQZ3o/edit>,
if needed. This will be our bimonthly working group meeting, so please do
come prepared to join the group pertaining to your interest for the
majority of the hour and then report back on your progress - or roadblocks,
those are fine to share too :)

One development that Cora and I are very happy to report - *Dr. Gina
Forrest <https://www.butler.edu/directory/user/gforrest> will be joining us
for our November 16th meeting *to talk about how to engage those that are
unwilling to accept the need for or effort involved in DEIJ work. She is
excited by the opportunity to educate us on the topic, and we should try to
have as many committee members present as possible for that meeting to take
advantage of her being willing to do so. So, please mark your calendars in
bold!

This does mean, however, that it will not be until our December meeting
that we are able to cover the topic of inclusive recruiting and hiring.
After some discussion with the Resources working group, we would like to
continue to collect any inclusive hiring resources that you have used or
come across at your home sites in this shared folder
<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1fb9Rl-1pPlIOqlTkOrNroojU0z8anyQK>.
We will then develop a program to delve into inclusive hiring resources for
undergraduates, graduate students, staff, technicians, and faculty in a
relevant manner in our December meeting. This will admittedly miss the time
period most relevant to graduate student recruiting, but we are of the mind
that this would result in more useful time spent for the group. We hope the
rest of you are in agreement.

Thanks everyone - we look forward to seeing those of you that can make it
tomorrow!

Talk soon,
Nameer and Cora

*Standing links*