[LTER-diversity] Fwd: [obfs-mail-list] OBFS Statement of Solidarity and Commitment

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Dec 27 10:11:38 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues (LTER Executive Board; Lead PIs; and Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion Committee),

I'm attaching the statement from the Organization of Biological Field
Stations related to the recent public reports of sexual harassment and
abuse at the Smithsoniam Tropical Research Institute to make you aware of
how some organizations are responding to the revelations. I don't
anticipate that LTER will be able to coordinate a similar response -- the
diversity of our organizational structures would make it very challenging.

However, it's clear that our OBFS colleagues have put a great deal of
effort into outlining responses and preventive measures -- many of which
would be equally appropriate for the LTER Programs that have sufficient
autonomy to exercise policy changes. As site and organizational leaders, I
encourage you to review the suggested steps and begin (or continue)
implementing them to the extent possible at your own sites. Many are also
discussed in more detail in the Report of the Workshop to Promote Safety in
Field Sciences <https://zenodo.org/record/5604956#.YcNaHRPMJpR>, which was
highlighted as a DEI resource of the month in the December newsletter.
Effectively addressing this issue is critical to retaining the best
emerging talent in our field and it certainly will be high on the agenda of
reviewers in the coming months and years.

As individuals, I also welcome you to consider signing on to the linked Open
Letter to the White House Gender Policy Council
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdDJ0yFm03Bk_i16qE83ca_E34Jeh2sb4mPMD0_lzbY0NS4XA/viewform>,
which has a signing deadline of *December 31, 2021*. The suggested reforms
range from basic common sense -- such as streamlining and better
communicating reporting processes -- to some that may be more controversial
-- such as establishing professional boards and databases.

Thanks,
Marty

----------
Dear Colleagues (LTER Executive Board; Lead PIs; and Diversity, Equity and
Inclusion Committee),

I'm attaching the statement from the Organization of Biological Field
Stations related to the recent public reports of sexual harassment and
abuse at the Smithsoniam Tropical Research Institute to make you aware of
how some organizations are responding to the revelations. I don't
anticipate that LTER will be able to coordinate a similar response -- the
diversity of our organizational structures (and the timing, related to the
winter break) would make it extraordinarily challenging.

However, it's clear that our OBFS colleagues have put a great deal of
effort into outlining responses and preventive measures -- many of which
would be equally appropriate for LTER Programs. As site and organizational
[...]

The need to reform the patronage/gatekeeping model of research training is
a high priority in most of the organizational statements that I've seen so
far. This presents a particular challenge for LTER as we rely on it heavily
and it produces both some of the best and the worst experiences. In the new
year, perhaps each of our committees can consider how we might develop an
approach that improves accountability while retaining much of the
flexibility that we prize.

Thanks,
Marty
Thanks,