[LTER-diversity] Diversity Committee Follow-up

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 13 16:18:02 PDT 2020

We had an informative first meeting of the renewed diversity committee,
including new representatives and current and past committee members, where
we began to get to know one another and our goals.

A few ideas stood out for me, including:

   - Training and resources for mentoring at multiple levels
   - Postdoctoral fellowships to enhance diversity
   - Tools to help sites examine and dismantle barriers to inclusion

The proposed committee activities document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TYEYdMBLgbA0KT8fRVcKbRZph5neCrKnL6y6HFeXevE>
is available for members to make additional proposals and to flesh out and
comment on ideas. If everyone stops by that document a few times over the
next month, we could have half a dozen solid ideas to discuss and
prioritize at our next meeting. As you add ideas and comment, please
identify your input with your name, if you're comfortable doing so.

In addition to introductions and floating ideas we discussed a few
committee logistics.

*Meeting times:*

For now, as we gain momentum, we will plan to meet monthly. Once we define
leadership and some working groups, we may be able to back off on that.
Please  complete the poll for a regular meeting time, if you have not
already: *https://forms.gle/h5zfFkLVNd7NZzqm6
<https://forms.gle/h5zfFkLVNd7NZzqm6> *The most accessible meeting time as
indicated by poll results on *Friday, March 27* will become our regular
meeting time.

*Leadership Opportunities:*

I can get the ball rolling, but the best leadership comes from within the
committee. We have found that most LTER committees function well with
co-chairs for backup and continuity. In addition, the LTER Executive Board
would like this committee assign a liaison to facilitate communication
between the board and the committee.

   -

   Duties of the co-chairs are to develop agendas, chair meetings, ensure
   that notes are taken and review meeting notes for accuracy.
   -

   Duties of the Executive Board liaison are to attend monthly executive
   board meetings and facilitate communication between committee and executive
   board.
   -

   Any committee member interested in holding either of these positions
   should submit a brief statement of interest (250 words or less) *by
   April 15*. The LNO will post the statements, alert the committee and and
   open voting for a period of 2 weeks.

*Introductions:*

Of course, not everyone could make this meeting time. If you were not able
to introduce yourself today (or if you did and we didn't capture your
introduction or ideas very well), please add a few words about yourself and
your ideas to today's agenda/notes document, here:
*https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_D1FnCzTofZ6q4r4LxFbrkNbrSQNHERG9o9ZGDsQZ3o
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_D1FnCzTofZ6q4r4LxFbrkNbrSQNHERG9o9ZGDsQZ3o>
*

*Tools for remote collaboration/asynchronous work:*

   - *Zoom: *We will use the same meeting link (
   https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/826568709
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://ucsb.zoom.us/j/826568709&sa=D&ust=1584544891929000&usg=AOvVaw1htlGfSkK5d0H83OtsOZnv>)
   for all meetings of this committee. Meeting times and connection
   information will also be posted on the LTER Network calendar
   <https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=bmNlYXMudWNzYi5lZHVfNjBqbTJrOWZobzFqN3I3cjZuZDdoZjBvdmtAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ>.
Make
   use of the toolbar at the bottom of Zoom window to access a participant
   list and chat window as well as screen sharing when needed. It seems I
   neglected to record today's meeting, but that is an option if committee
   members would find it useful.
   - *Shared Google Drive: *Agendas, notes, background documents, and
   working documents are housed in the shared google drive
   https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0ADLoMoVJ7gTEUk9PVA The
   intention is for the entire committee to be able to access and edit
   documents collaboratively, but I know that presents a challenge in some
   organizations. If you cannot access google tools through a work email
   address and you have an alternate address you would like me to invite,
   please let me know. If the problem is bigger than that, let's talk so I can
   fully understand and attempt to resolve it.
   - *Trello*: I did not have a chance to introduce Trello today, but have
   invited most of you to the team. (If I missed you, use *this link to
   join
   <https://trello.com/invite/lterdiversityinclusion/c5458fb87a7e71be35246f601ebf3695>.)*
It's
   an easy-to-use project management tool (kanban-style) with lists of
   resources, items, or tasks that can be shared, assigned, labelled, and
   tagged by teams or individuals. We have used it successfully on other
   committees to provide structure for what can otherwise become an
   unmanageable pile of links and documents. In the short term, we'll use it
   for important links to resources, and to track current and past agendas. As
   projects get rolling, it will also be a good place for a one-stop shopping
   update on activities.
   - *Slack*: Join the LTER Slack community here: *https://slack.lternet.edu
   <https://slack.lternet.edu/> *and sign up for the committee
channel: *#diversity_eq_incl_committee.
   *If you aren't a regular user of Slack, check out "help" in the upper
   right hand menu of the desktop application. Slack is a bit of an experiment
   for committees, which we will re-evaluate after a few months. Essential
   information (meeting times and links, information required for decisions)
   will never be communicated only in Slack -- but it can add a lot of depth
   to discussions without adding a lot of overhead.

Thanks!
Marty
--
Marty Downs (she/her/hers)