[LTER-diversity] LTER Diversity Committee Meeting

Hart, Clarisse hart3 at fas.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 28 21:21:45 PDT 2018

LTER Diversity Committee,

I write to follow up on Alan’s original email, with final details about Diversity at the ASM.

Whether or not you will be at the ASM, three items need a response in rather short order.

First, a question about committee funds –

  *   The Diversity Committee has $6k in funds from the NCO to spend before the calendar year is out. We will discuss this further at the business meeting on Tuesday, Oct 2 at 3:30 PT - BUT in the very short term, with your approval, we’d like to finalize the idea of using $1200 to reimburse travel funds for the graduate student (Andrew McDevitt) who will be managing the cohort of 15 NSF-supported REU students attending the meeting. The students come from many sites across the Network, represent many underrepresented groups, and for the most part have never attended a national meeting before. We brought Andrew in to follow the ESA SEEDS conference model, which has shown the great value of a cohort manager who can encourage and guide the students throughout the week to make the most of their experience. Andrew has a great deal of experience in managing diverse undergraduate students (among other things, he was the proctor for the Harvard Forest summer program for 2 years) and he also brings experience in assessment and program evaluation. Andrew has been diligent in contributing to our weekly planning meetings for the REU cohort, and will be very active during the week with the students.
     *   Please write to Alan and I to let us know whether you approve the expenditure of these funds!

Next, an opportunity to mentor some students at the ASM –

  *   I’ve listed the full Diversity-related schedule for the meeting below. In particular, we need to know if we have volunteers to help contribute to the Monday dinner discussion before we formalize it as part of the REU students’ program. Please let Alan and I know if you would like to be a part of that dinner discussion!

Finally, a question about our business meeting. For those who are NOT attending the ASM, would you like to be piped in to the meeting electronically or by phone? Please us know by Monday evening and we’ll make arrangements.

DIVERSITY & INCLUSION OPPORTUNITIES IN THE ASM SCHEDULE
(all times are Pacific)

  *   Sunday evening welcome reception
     *   Includes the 15 REU students who were selected for travel fellowships. You will see Alan and I (and others) helping them to network around the room. Please help us welcome them!
  *   Monday, Oct. 1 – 3:30-5:00pm – Session: Cultivating Diversity & Inclusion at LTER Sites<https://2018lterallscientistsmeeting.sched.com/event/FYq9/cultivating-diversity-inclusion-at-lter-sites> (if you’d like to preview our plan for the session, go here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gCOuxlODGBVKleFBhxgVndGls2L8ne7jCWczkD42cVg/edit>!)
  *   Monday, Oct. 1 – 6:30pm - Diversity Dinner with REU students. Optional for them, optional for you, but highly encouraged. We’ll label a table in the dining room for informal discussion of diversity issues at LTER sites. Many of the REUs are students from groups traditionally underrepresented in the sciences; we’d like to give them a forum to discuss their experiences and hear from those who have been working in the field
  *   Tuesday, Oct. 2 – 3:30-5:00pm – Diversity Committee meeting<https://2018lterallscientistsmeeting.sched.com/event/FlE6/diversity-committee-meeting>. We’ll discuss plans/goals for the year and begin the nomination process for a co-chair election. All are welcome, so please bring a friend!

Cheers!
Alan and Clarisse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clarisse Hart