[LTER-commcom] Tomorrow's meeting

Peter Groffman groffmanp at caryinstitute.org
Fri Sep 11 06:33:18 PDT 2020

Hi Clarisse,

Thanks for the note.  For "The Conversation" piece, I was thinking of
focusing on the need for prediction, for ecologists to be able to provide
some ideas about what our ecosystems are going to look like in 50 or 100
years.  I was thinking we could start with the idea that ecologists have
generally been shy about prediction compared to some other disciplines, for
example Economics, yet the demand is real.  I would then go on to make the
case that the case studies in our special issue represent several real
advances in our ability to talk about the future.  We have new tools such
as scenarios and models and more importantly, we have long term data that
allows us to make informed projections about the future.

There are just my initial thoughts, and I am keen to see what Michael, who
has had a lot more experience with "The Conversation" thinks about this.
And I am not sure just what stories we would highlight.

I am hoping that we can share our ideas with this group as they develop and
get some feedback.

Thanks!

Peter

Peter M. Groffman