[LTER-commcom] NCO web site and update

Jonathan Walsh walshjcaryinstitute at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:08:58 MDT 2016

The content is useful and organized well.  I can't think of any content to
add as far as information about the NCO for the LTER community:  Who
comprises NCO, how does it plan to operate, and how to get in touch...

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Marty Downs <downs at nceas.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Dear LTER Comm Com--
>
> We are soft-launching the NCO web site at https://nco.lternet.edu/
>
> It is not currently linked from the lternet site, but it is public. I'd
> appreciate your thoughts -- bearing in mind that my main purpose for this
> site is simply to inform the LTER community about the NCO's goals and
> objectives, how we intend to operate, who we are, and how to reach us.
>
> This is a baby step -- with no web developer on board at this time, it
> does not reflect our intentions with respect to the main web site. It's the
> just-the-facts-ma'am, no-frills face of the NCO -- NOT of the Network. That
> remains at www.lternet.edu -- and that's the next job.
>
> When Lternet.edu and Intranet2.lternet.edu are more functional, I hope
> that the need for this site will gradually disappear, but for now, it
> seemed important to share our basic operating principles.
>
> There is a great deal more we could do to liven the site up and I'll take
> that on over time. For now, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on
> content -- are there mis-steps in tone or content? Blind spots? What am I
> missing that is important to include?
>
> Also -- I had hoped to organize a video abstracts training before ESA, but
> given summer schedules and the variety other activities under way, that
> won't be possible. I do still hope to get resources out on the topic before
> ESA, but not in time to organize the training I had envisioned.,
>
> Hope you're all having a great summer.
> Marty
>

> --
> Marty Downs
> Communications Officer
> LTER Network Communications Office (LTER NCO)
> t: @USLTER
> f: USLTER
>
> National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS)
> University of California, Santa Barbara
> Office: 805-893-7549
> Cell: 617-833-7930
> downs at nceas.ucsb.edu

Jonathan Walsh
Information Manager, Baltimore Ecosystem Study
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Box AB; Route 44A
Millbrook, NY 12545-0129
P: 845/677/7600 Extension 103