[LTER-commcom] NCO web site and update

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 8 17:07:02 MDT 2016

Dear LTER Comm Com--

We are soft-launching the NCO web site at https://nco.lternet.edu/

It is not currently linked from the lternet site, but it is public. I'd
appreciate your thoughts -- bearing in mind that my main purpose for this
site is simply to inform the LTER community about the NCO's goals and
objectives, how we intend to operate, who we are, and how to reach us.

This is a baby step -- with no web developer on board at this time, it does
not reflect our intentions with respect to the main web site. It's the
just-the-facts-ma'am, no-frills face of the NCO -- NOT of the Network. That
remains at www.lternet.edu -- and that's the next job.

When Lternet.edu and Intranet2.lternet.edu are more functional, I hope that
the need for this site will gradually disappear, but for now, it seemed
important to share our basic operating principles.

There is a great deal more we could do to liven the site up and I'll take
that on over time. For now, I would very much appreciate your thoughts on
content -- are there mis-steps in tone or content? Blind spots? What am I
missing that is important to include?

Also -- I had hoped to organize a video abstracts training before ESA, but
given summer schedules and the variety other activities under way, that
won't be possible. I do still hope to get resources out on the topic before
ESA, but not in time to organize the training I had envisioned.,

Hope you're all having a great summer.
Marty

--
Marty Downs