[LTER-commcom] LTER Communication Committee co-chair elections

Hart, Clarisse hart3 at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 25 11:39:17 MST 2015

Hi LTER Communication team,

Below are the paragraph descriptions for the 2 nominees for committee co-chair.

Here is a link to the survey for voting. Please select 2 candidates! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/X8ST3KX

We need at least 7 voters to constitute a quorum.
Please vote by Dec. 4.

Co-chairs coordinate the governance and communication of the CC. They ensure communication occurs among CC members and with the LCO and LTER boards/committees. They coordinate meetings, annual reporting, and the online archiving of meeting notes.

The term of a CC co-chair is three years. A co-chair’s term may be extended for one year, by a majority vote, if needed for continuity. An individual may serve as CC co-chair multiple times but not for consecutive terms.

Thanks in advance, and Happy Thanksgiving!

JULIE DOLL (KBS): I would welcome the opportunity to co-chair this committee and create a strong vision for LTER communication with the new NCO. I have been the Education and Outreach Coordinator for the Kellogg Biological Station LTER since 2009. I am passionate about dialogue-based approaches to disseminating research results and have conducted numerous roundtable events bringing together scientists and stakeholders to dialogue about issues related to climate change and sustainable agriculture. I have also held numerous communication trainings and workshops for journalists, scientists, students, K-12 teachers, and Extension professionals. In addition to managing KBS LTER social media and website outreach, I coordinate our communications with the media and University communication offices. Since joining the LTER community I have actively sought opportunities to engage at the Network level, participating and co-leading ASM workshops and a June 2013 communications training at the LNO. I appreciate your consideration of my nomination.

CLARISSE HART (HFR): For the last 6 years, I’ve served as Outreach & Education Manager for the Harvard Forest, coordinating outreach to the media, decision-makers, forestry & conservation professionals, funding agencies, and many others via press outreach, websites, print publications, site visits, and social media. In addition to my science background, I have a master’s degree in nonfiction writing and am an active freelance writer/journalist.  I co-lead the new Science Communication Section for ESA, and regularly lead communication workshops for scientists and students (including LTER comm. site reps and ESA members). In recent years, I’ve been very active in the LTER Network, co-chairing working groups on Higher Education, Art, and Diversity – but communication is my passion. I’m very interested in working with this talented group and the new NCO to create a strong and strategic voice for LTER.