[LTER-BioProd] Biodiversity Agenda Paper - action required!

Andrew Gonzalez, Prof. andrew.gonzalez at mcgill.ca
Fri Feb 19 05:19:02 PST 2021

To Akira's point number #3 I would recommend citing this paper by K¨¹hl et al. 2020 in One Earth
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590332220304796
A great paper on the need for a bottom-up process with a broad set of partners across all sectors of society to achieve effective biodiversity monitoring (national and global).

Akira, I am going to set up a GEO BON working group to figure out the financial and technical support needed to help set up a global biodiversity monitoring system. You are very welcome to join, as is anyone else passionate about solving this problem. The solution has to involve networking developed and developing nations and building capacity and tools to support collaboration and cooperation. During SBSTTA the last two days every nation requested technical support for the data-to-indicator workflow (the post 2020 framework involves too many indicators). There will likely be an international organization established with a mandate to do support global monitoring this post COP15. I put language to this effect in a recent document from RSC/NAS to the G7

We are in a pivotal moment and our field has a lot to contribute in the coming year.
Best,
Andy

Andrew Gonzalez F.R.S.C.
Professor | Liber Ero Chair in Biodiversity Conservation
Dept. Biology | McGill University
1205 Dr. Penfield Avenue, Montreal, H3A 1B1, Quebec, Canada

co-Chair GEO BON<https://geobon.org/>
Director Quebec Centre for Biodiversity Science<https://qcbs.ca/>
Co-founder Eco2Urb<https://www.eco2urb.com/about-eco2urb.html>
@bio_diverse | Google Scholar<https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=nxg3KqkAAAAJ&hl=en>