[LTER-BioProd] Biodiversity Agenda Paper - action required!

Akira Mori akira.s.mori at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 22:20:22 PST 2021

Dear Mary and all,

Thank you so much for your hard work to finalize this manuscript. I really
appreciate it. And I really like the paper, especially how you nicely
describe feedback from the basic concepts (density-dependence and
population growth) to the B-F-H feedback in the pluralistic context. I have
just minor suggestions.

1. I would suggest removing Figure 1B. It is complicated and readers need
to visit the original review. However, it is already outdated, as the
concept was changed from benefits to contributions. More importantly, I
just like Figure 1A and 1C, which nicely convey how feedback occurs at
multiple scales (and possibly, bidirectionally). Removing Figure 1B helps
further highlight them.

2. In Box 1. I agree with Laura. We need descriptions for both ES and NCP.
It could be better to cite this paper.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/26395916.2019.1669713  ("We
find a mixed-picture, where on six specific conceptual claims (culture,
social sciences and humanities, indigenous and local knowledge, negative
contributions of nature, generalizing perspective, non-instrumental values
and valuation) NCP does not differ greatly from past ES research, but we
also find five conceptual claims (diverse worldviews, context-specific
perspective, relational values, fuzzy and fluid reporting categories and
groups, inclusive language and framing) where NCP provides novel
conceptualizations of people and nature relations.")

3. I really like the sentence in L430-432. I am just wondering how this
(breaking the historical pattern...) can be realized. In a recent Science
Policy Forum by Soil BON (http://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6526/239),
I found a similar sentence ("Such a global initiative will not be possible
without a wide network of local partners ... This includes providing
support to colleagues working in developing countries and establishing a
centralized global analysis network across different volunteering
institutions..."). Then I hoped to find more concrete suggestions to
realize this (e.g., financial and technical support from developed to
developing nations) in their supplementary material, but found no concrete
suggestions and solutions. So, it could be better to be a bit specific hereā€¦

4. My name needs "S" (Akira S Mori). Akira Mori is one of the richest
persons in Japan (of course, not me).

Thank you for citing the GScience statement. Although G7 was cancelled in
2020, the statement is still important to connect science and policy.

Best wishes,

Akira