[LTER-BioProd] Biodiversity Agenda Paper - action required!

Andrew Gonzalez, Prof. andrew.gonzalez at mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 18 08:50:25 PST 2021

Hi Mary,

Thanks for this new version. It reads very well.
I have left some comments on the Box doc. I suggested some text to distinguish between positive and negative feedback.

Tricky to add minor suggestions to the PDF. So here goes:
Line 172, 243: Cite GEO BON with capitals and a space.

Section IV - Knowledge gaps
Line 221: Insert the importance of the distinction bn +ve and -ve feedbacks. in this section. It is important to clarify that we need to understand when perturbations (e.g. anthropogenic) are damped vs. amplified. In climate science, +ve feedbacks due to change in albedo have been important to communicate. I think we need to state that we have a knowledge gap when it comes to assessing when these two types of feedback are at play. For example, in McCann et al. (2020) Ecology Letters we show when nutrients (runoff from Ag fields) amplify oscillations that can drive instability and extinctions.
Line 244: Do you mean accompanying EF measures that are taken at the same time and location and the biodiversity measures? GEO BON is publishing essential ecosystem variables but there is a need to statistically assess the co-variation with layers of (functional) biodiversity change.
Line 347: There some advances linking functional trait variation to functioning, both at the local scale (Norberg et al; Enquist et al) and biogeographic scales (Violle et al 2014 PNAS).
Line 387, Challenge 6: You might cite Miller et al. 2012

A specific example that could be used as an example is for seagrasses and the need to consider feedbacks in their management. Maxwell et al.  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27581168/

If PRSB doesn't take this, I think Oikos Forum would be a great venue. Note, I am no longer EIC at Oikos, so there would not be a conflict of interest.

Line 425: Gonzalez et al. 2016 (Ecology) we quantified these spatial biases.
Line 430: cite Runge et al. 2019 Nat. Comms. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-10105-3

I hope these suggestions are useful.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Gonzalez F.R.S.C.
Professor | Liber Ero Chair in Biodiversity Conservation
Dept. Biology | McGill University
1205 Dr. Penfield Avenue, Montreal, H3A 1B1, Quebec, Canada

co-Chair GEO BON<https://geobon.org/>
Director Quebec Centre for Biodiversity Science<https://qcbs.ca/>
Co-founder Eco2Urb<https://www.eco2urb.com/about-eco2urb.html>
@bio_diverse | Google Scholar<https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=nxg3KqkAAAAJ&hl=en>