[LTER-BioProd] GitHub Repository - coding together

Julien Brun brun at nceas.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 13 12:17:01 PST 2018

Dear all,

We have set up a repository on GitHub for your group to share and
collaborate on scripts you are developing for your analysis:
https://github.com/lter/lterwg-bioprod

Everybody can download the files. If you want to be able to upload scripts,
you will have to send me your GitHub username and I can grant you write
access. If you do not have an account yet, just sign up, it is free:
https://github.com/

We recommend to use this system to share your scripts among participants
and also to move them from a computer to another one. It is the best way to
track changes and who made these the changes (including a younger you ;) )
and get back to any previous version of your work. We do not recommend
GitHub to manage your data, as git is best suited for small files.

For those of you who are not familiar with version control systems, in a
nutshell, we need 2 tools:

- git: the software that tracks changes on specific files on your computer

- GitHub: the web platform that enables you to share these scripts

Here is a tutorial to get started:

https://nceas.github.io/sasap-training/materials/reproducible-analysis-in-r/version-control-with-git-and-github.html#advanced-topics

Note: Windows users, you will have to first install git software on your
computer: https://git-scm.com/download/win

Version control is a great tool to incorporate into your workflow that can
help you to get back to previous (working) version of your work and will
help you to collaborate efficiently. This group can be a great opportunity
to get started.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need help to get set up!

Best,

Julien

--
Julien Brun, PhD