[LTER-usiltercom] US ILTER Committee leadership

McDowell, Bill Bill.McDowell at unh.edu
Sat Feb 29 07:51:40 PST 2020

Dear USILTER Committee,
After many years serving as co-chairs of this committee, we would like to make room for others -- especially those who are more actively involved in international research -- to provide leadership and fresh perspectives. To that end, we are planning to step down from the role of co-chairs over the next year. (Bill will step down first -- as soon as a new chair can be nominated and elected; Tiffany will stay on as co-chair to provide continuity, but intends to complete her co-chair commitment in April 2021.

The committee-approved bylaws<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1iCn8cZtCYj9-2DmK0r28o0agkftiwRfY1oTnvgArO1h7w_edit-23heading-3Dh.rntkh4c77ew&d=DwMFaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=MvohL6EXeSc3SBtntX72gw&m=8ZdIc0oQ0Nqa7H_iooFbqnxi9OOXjAKavG2_48A4q80&s=0raXm7kTABcM6kkAhQ_M9NHG5tT3OGC96dIfQ2K5ioY&e=> that we completed in September specify two co-chairs serving staggered 2-year rotations as co-chairs, plus a vice chair (chair-in preparation). Thus, we will need to identify one new co-chair and a vice co-chair almost immediately and then another vice co-chair within 12 months.

We are excited to let you know that Nancy Grimm, who is leading the AccelNet-funded NATURA Network<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__natura-2Dnet.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=lhMMI368wojMYNABHh1gQQ&r=MvohL6EXeSc3SBtntX72gw&m=8ZdIc0oQ0Nqa7H_iooFbqnxi9OOXjAKavG2_48A4q80&s=SkkGY5ibPQfaOyfhhRnYeyYuGwseD1yY5did_seE7I4&e=>, and currently serving on the ILTER Science Committee has agreed to stand for election to co-chair the committee. We are seeking additional nominations for the following positions:

  *   co-chair (starting as soon as feasible). This is the position for which Nancy has been nominated.
  *   vice co-chair (starting as soon as feasible and advancing to co-chair in April 2021
  *   vice co-chair (starting in April 2021 and advancing to chair in April 2022
The duties of the co-chairs include (but are not limited to):

  *   Holding committee conference calls at least every other month (and facilitating administrative support, as needed)
  *   Representing the US at the annual Coordinating Committee (CC) meeting of the International LTER and at quarterly conference calls
  *   Representing the US on the monthly ILTER Executive Board calls (currently at 7AM EST)
To nominate yourself, please send a one-paragraph statement addressing the following questions:

  *   How do you view the relationship between the US LTER and the ILTER?
  *   What do you see as the greatest value of international long term ecological research?
  *   Where are the best opportunities to expand international research collaboration within the LTER Network?
To suggest nominees, please send names and a short statement about why you think they would be good candidates.

Return both self nominations and nominee suggestions (by March 15) to:
Bill.McDowell at unh.edu<mailto:Bill.McDowell at unh.edu>, troxlert at fiu.edu<mailto:troxlert at fiu.edu>, downs at nceas.ucsb.edu<mailto:downs at nceas.ucsb.edu>

Bill and Tiffany
Tiffany G. Troxler, Ph.D.
Director of Science, Sea Level Solutions Center
slsc.fiu.edu; @FIUSeaLevel
Research Associate Professor, Southeast Environmental Research Center (OE 148),
Institute of Environment, an FIU Preeminent Program
& Department of Biological Sciences
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th St, Miami, FL, 33199
Office: 305-348-1453, OE 228
Lab Office: 305-348-7479, VH 332
Lab: 305-348-1576, VH 327
http://wetland.fiu.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__wetland.fiu.edu&d=DwQFAw&c=c6MrceVCY5m5A_KAUkrdoA&r=zibR6w0272NM2RAaDUJjs7D4ATUIxBjfGhK1GPcfC8s&m=Q7XIahIpwDISr4WESEoL_wv8AA_Un1MziJc5Z33IWWo&s=8bfkaBWA7QyCY7XwXzBjy1w_fm4TOHmiA3LpRaFVuX0&e=>

William H. McDowell
Department of Natural Resources and the Environment
Professor of Environmental Science and Presidential Chair
Director, NH Water Resources Research Center (http://wrrc.unh.edu/)
(603) 862-2249 bill.mcdowell at unh.edu<mailto:bill.mcdowell at unh.edu>