[LTER-sbc_help] Community Messages 9/4: Sarah and Geoff Climb the Eaglet

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Fri Sep 4 07:15:26 PDT 2020

 ‌ ‌ Familiar Faces Friday Enjoy this short virtual update from Hubbard Brook. An Adventure To A-spire To Eagle Cliff and the Eaglet (the spire to the right), Franconia Notch, NH Like any practiced rock climbers, Sarah Garlick and Geoff Wilson know how to find a good opportunity and grab onto it. So when their schedules aligned last week, Sarah and Geoff used the window of time to spend a beautiful, socially-distanced morning climbing the Eaglet in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire. The Eaglet, the Granite State's only free-standing spire, boasts stunning views. Sarah says: "The Eaglet is a classic New England climbing objective, first established in 1929. Every summer for the past 9 or 10 years, Geoff and I have talked about climbing it together but never made it happen. 'We need to go climb the Eaglet!' became a running joke between us. This year, when so many other things have been cancelled, we finally made it out for our local micro-adventure. One of my favorite things about these historic routes is imagining the women and men who climbed the same stretch of stone in the 1930s, with gear that I can't even fathom. We had a lovely morning and talked about how much we miss seeing everyone at Hubbard Brook. Sending our best wishes out to you all." Enjoy (and live vicariously through) some photos of Sarah and Geoff's experience: Geoff on the ascent Sarah enjoys the views Geoff is smiling under the mask...probably We all wish we were hanging with you, Sarah and Geoff! Safely back on the ground, and safely distanced To read more about the history of the Eaglet, click here. Note: As the pandemic continues, we will send out community messages periodically—though not every week. Please feel free to reach out to sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org if you have a note, images, or video that you would like to share with the Hubbard Brook community! The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About our service provider Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org powered by Try email marketing for free today!