[LTER-sbc_help] Recap: NH Youth Climate Town Hall

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Thu Feb 13 06:04:47 PST 2020

 ‌ ‌ Promoting the understanding and stewardship of forest ecosystems through scientific research and monitoring, policy outreach, and education New Hampshire's Youth Climate and Clean Energy Town Hall Six Presidential Candidates Twenty New Hampshire Students Forty Regional, National, and International Media Outlets Elevating the Climate Conversation at a Crucial Decision Point Organized by the Hubbard Brook Research Foundation, the Revers Center for Energy and the Center for Business, Government and Society at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth, and Stonyfield Organic Mayor Pete Buttigieg with student panelists Rob Strong Photography It was a great day for science, Hubbard Brook, youth action, climate policy, and an informed electorate! HBRF is grateful to our co-hosts and the many students, partners, volunteers, and citizens who came together to make the NH Youth Climate and Clean Energy Town Hall on February 5th a success! During this public event at the Bank of New Hampshire Stage in Concord, six presidential candidates and two surrogates each spent 45 minutes sharing their climate and clean energy plans and answering questions from environmental science and energy students from high schools, colleges, and universities across the state. Here’s a quick run-down of how the day went. HBRF Executive Director Anthea Lavallee, and Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study Co-Founder Dr. Gene E. Likens, opened the event by sharing their experiences of Hubbard Brook's inter-generational community and history of science-to-policy success. Presidential Candidates (in order of appearance) Senator Amy Klobuchar, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Governor Bill Weld, Governor Deval Patrick, Andrew Yang, Tom Steyer Candidate Surrogates Varshini Prakash for Senator Bernie Sanders, Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson for Senator Elizabeth Warren   Student Panelists Kathryn Bennett, Isabel Boettcher, Saskia Braden, Catherine Bregou, Beatrice Burack, Chris Callahan, Jedidiah Crook, Sadie DiCarlo, Natalie Dokken, Katelyn Fournier, Hannah Gaudet, Olivia Gresham, Caitlyn Hatzell, Ashley Lang, Casey McGuire, Melina Sánchez Montañés, Clarice Perryman, Laura Walk, Alex Wood, Kevin Yuan Student Panelists’ Schools Antioch University New England, Dartmouth College, Hanover High School, Keene State College, Phillips Exeter Academy, Plymouth State University, University of New Hampshire   Moderators Alden Meyer, Union of Concerned Scientists, Henry Herndon, Clean Energy NH, Tiernan Sittenfeld, League of Conservation Voters Hubbard Brook researcher and Dartmouth PhD candidate, Ashley Lang (left), participated on two student panels and asked Governor Deval Patrick and Sanders surrogate Varshini Prakash about the role of forests and science in combating climate change. Above: Ashley Lang, Melina Sánchez Montañés, and Olivia Gresham chat with Varshini Prakash Below: Ashley Lang, Kevin Yuan, and Katelyn Fournier with Deval Patrick Rob Strong Photography “It was an incredible experience to speak with policy-makers about our worries for the future and how climate change has already begun to affect our lives. I have hope that the event brought this issue to the forefront of the candidates’ minds and reminded them that young voters will be prioritizing climate change in the primary.    I think Hubbard Brook was well-represented, and I was thrilled to get to talk to politicians about the research I’m doing there on soil carbon storage. I was pleasantly surprised to get follow-up questions about soil backstage!”  —Ashley Lang, PhD candidate, Dartmouth College, and Hubbard Brook researcher Top: A packed house! Middle: Tom Steyer in the selfie line and on stage; Andrew Yang Bottom: Event leaders and partners with Governor Deval Patrick and Senator Amy Klobuchar Rob Strong Photography The day-long event was covered by the Associated Press, the Boston Globe, CNN, the New York Times, Politico, and the Washington Post, among other media outlets. Selected Press Voters Seek Leadership On Climate Change At Forum With 2020 Candidates New Hampshire Public Radio Democratic Presidential Candidates Attend NH Youth Climate Forum New England Cable News Presidential Primary Candidates Talk Climate In New Hampshire WBUR   Buttigieg, Klobuchar and several others speak at a climate forum The New York Times Deval Patrick poses for a picture with a group of middle schoolers attending the event Rob Strong Photography Can't get enough of the climate action? An archived version of the live-stream is available here. The Tuck School of Business and the Union of Concerned Scientists have excellent write-ups of the event. Left: Natalie Dokken, Alex Wood, Laura Walk, and Tiernan Sittenfeld with Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson Right: John Smitka, Lee Spilbor, Gene Likens, and Anthea Lavallee with Governor Bill Weld Rob Strong Photography The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About Constant Contact Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org in collaboration with Try email marketing for free today!