[LTER-sbc_help] UPDATE Hubbard Brook's 2nd Annual Spring Leaf Out

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon May 6 11:51:13 PDT 2019

Help us to meet our spring campaign goal before the canopy closes!  Buds Set to Burst! Leaf-Out Imminent at Hubbard Brook! Hubbard Brook Field & Maintenance Technician Hannah Vollmer scans the treetops, observing bud swelling but no evidence of unfolding leaves to date. Red maple is flowering, and squirrel corn is expected to burst into bloom very soon (photo from Amey Bailey above). These welcome signs of spring are reminders that the clock is ticking on our fundraising campaign. Contributions in any amount are welcome. Gifts of or above $500 will be matched, dollar-for-dollar, up to $10,000. Seven more $500 gifts needed to unlock the full $10,000 matching gift. We would be thrilled to count you as a Canopy Closer in 2019! When the canopy is closed, so is this time-sensitive campaign! Click here to make your secure online contribution today! Based on Hubbard Brook's long-term temperature and phenology records from the U.S. Forest Service, Professor of Biological Sciences Matt Ayres and his Dartmouth collaborators developed a phenology model that predicts the following on the Main Bird Plot (as of May 4): Budburst = 16 May 90% completion of leaf expansion = 28 May Over the last 60 years, bud burst has advanced by 7 days. According to the Dartmouth prediction, which takes recent cool temperatures into account, these spring 2019 events will occur 5 days later than expected based on the 60-year trend. A Brief History of Hubbard Brook Phenology In the 1980's, U.S. Forest Service Scientist Tony Federer developed a set of criteria for visually assessing cyclical changes in spring vegetation at Hubbard Brook. Since the early 1990's, U.S. Forest Service Forest Technician Amey Bailey has contributed to Hubbard Brook's phenology records by visually assessing tree crowns at established sites throughout the Experimental Forest to determine bud burst and the incremental stages of leaf-out. The condition of the leaves is rated on a 0- to 4-point scale (0 = no bud swelling, 4 = leaves fully expanded). Amey shares her phenology techniques with local elementary schools in Thornton and Plymouth, NH, as part of Hubbard Brook's educational outreach. Stay tuned for more spring phenology updates from Hubbard Brook. With your participation, we will cover our budget for science communication, outreach, and education as the canopy closes! Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About our service provider Sent by alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org in collaboration with Try email marketing for free today!