[LTER-sbc_help] News from The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Fri Dec 13 10:01:09 PST 2019

 ‌ ‌ Winter 2019 Promoting the understanding and stewardship of forest ecosystems through scientific research and monitoring, policy outreach, and education High water sampling at Hubbard Brook, April 2019. Photos: Joe Klementovich Extreme weather is in the headlines. Fire, flood, and drought tell the story of climate change around the world. At the same time, a rising tide of rhetoric is fueling extreme emotions in our daily lives. It’s easy to get swept up in the latest social media storm or burned by Facebook fire-starters who care more about tallying “likes” than telling the truth. Science provides an antidote. Hubbard Brook researchers have been gathering information about our changing natural world for more than six decades. This steady drumbeat of data collection reveals trends and patterns that explain how and why ecosystems are changing. When I’m overwhelmed by divisive language or environmental disinformation and feeling tempted to check out of the climate conversation, I think about my Hubbard Brook community. Hubbard Brook never checks out. Hubbard Brook has been holding the science steady for more than sixty years. This stable stream of information that led to the Clean Air Act Amendments now has the power to inform climate policy and practice.  Stormy politics and unpredictable public funding threaten the science illuminating environmental solutions. Your contribution protects it. We would be honored by your year-end gift and grateful to count you among our generous supporters in 2019. Sincerely, Anthea Lavallee, HBRF Executive Director MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TODAY Above & below: Alicia Brunner, a Cornell graduate student and bird crew member, holds a black-throated blue warbler in "The Resilient Forest Series, Part 3: The Birds of Hubbard Brook." Photos: Ben Silberfarb Featured Story Our friends at Northern Woodlands have been hard at work on a new multimedia series called The Resilient Forest. In summer 2019, their team began sharing print, film, and audio stories highlighting successful stewardship initiatives across the northern forest and exploring how communities are adapting to change. The goal is “to promote public appreciation of the ecological, economic, and cultural benefits of northeastern forests and to promote interest in keeping forests intact.” For Part 3 of the series, filmmaker Ben Silberfarb trained his lens on "The Birds of Hubbard Brook." The beautifully shot 10-minute documentary—featuring a few familiar faces—explains the importance of Hubbard Brook’s long-term record and demonstrates how these data are put into action by local conservation groups that work with landowners on bird habitat. It's time to break out the popcorn! WATCH Photos From the Field Click to enlarge Courtesy of the Critter Cam: majestic moose on a brilliant fall day November 2019: wind-blown spruce is no match for Ian Halm and his chainsaw Photo: Ian Halm Mirror Lake on December 1: official 2019 ice-in date Photo: Tammy Wooster The last of five new snow scales Photo: Ian Halm Frank Bowles' snow temperature sensors at each snow scale site Photo: Ian Halm Technicians from 2KR Systems completed snow scale updates Photo: Ian Halm Research Highlight Beetle abundance and diversity at Hubbard Brook have both declined sharply since the 1970s, according to a new study published in Biological Conservation. Researchers analyzed data collected—using the same methods and same locations—at Hubbard Brook between 1973-1977 and 2015-2017. They found that overall beetle numbers dropped by about 83 percent during this period, while the number of identified beetle taxa fell by about 39 percent. The authors attribute the losses to winter warming caused by climate change. “Biologist E.O. Wilson wrote that it is ‘the little things that run the world,’ and we now have clear evidence that the abundance and variety of these little creatures, like beetles, have declined dramatically due to climate change," said Hubbard Brook Investigator and co-author Nick Rodenhouse. "The temperate forest ecosystems of northeastern North America are in a period of rapid transition—a tsunami of change—because climate affects every aspect of forest function.” READ MORE Outreach Highlight The latest Science Links report is hot off the presses! "Confronting Our Changing Winters: Indicators of Winter Climate Change in the Northern Forest" summarizes research from two recent papers that analyzed 100 years of winter meteorological data from northeastern North America. The report's key findings: 1) we are losing the cold, 2) we are losing the snow, 3) winters are getting shorter. The publication details the profound implications of these changes for water, wildlife, forests, and people in clear language and compelling infographics—using peer-reviewed science to point the way towards meaningful action. READ MORE Hubbard Brook Researchers in the News  Can We Identify Invasive Species Before They Invade? Scientific American Less snow means fewer beetles in our woods (which is a bad thing) Concord Monitor New England winters are on the decline due to climate change, study says The Boston Globe Forest Journal: Welcome to Lichen Appreciation Season New Hampshire Union Leader Announcements HBRF's 2019 Annual Report introduces you to the people behind the science through in-depth profiles. We also gratefully acknowledge the many supporters who make our science outreach possible. If you have not received a printed copy and would like one, email Anthea at alavallee at hubbardbrookfoundation.org. Click Hear to Read HBRF's 2019 Annual Report! ‌ As always, thanks for your interest in Hubbard Brook. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, ideas, or suggestions, and help us to spread the word by forwarding this email to a friend. JOIN OUR MAILING LIST VISIT OUR WEBSITE Corporate Sponsors Chester Forest Products Chroma Technology Corp. Durgin & Crowell  Lumber Co., Inc. FORECO LLC King Forest Industries Law Offices of Joyce E. Scott Loveland Forestry The Lyme Timber Company New England Forest Products Northland Forest Products Schiffman, Dattilio & Commpany, P.C. HBRF Trustees Charles Driscoll, Chair, Syracuse University Stan Williams, Vice Chair John Smitka, Secretary   Michael Shoob, Treasurer   Deecie Denison Peter Groffman Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, CUNY Advanced Science Research Center, Brooklyn College Steven Hamburg Environmental Defense Fund Doroty B. Heinrichs Dartmouth-Hitchcock and the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth Roger Larochelle Squam Lakes Conservation Society Gene E. Likens Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies Peter Martin Nicholas Rodenhouse Wellesley College Anant Sundaram Dartmouth College  Pamela Templer Boston University  Harriet Van Vleck Lindsey Rustad U.S. Forest Service Anthea Lavallee HBRF Executive Director The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About Constant Contact Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org in collaboration with Try email marketing for free today!