[LTER-sbc_help] News from The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation

Hubbard Brook Research Foundation sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org
Mon Aug 20 05:10:20 PDT 2018

‌ ‌ August 2018 Promoting the understanding and stewardship of forest ecosystems through scientific research and monitoring, policy outreach, and education DONATE NOW VISIT WEBSITE Dear Hubbard Brook Supporter, They often go to work before sunrise, spend long days outside, slogging through streams, navigating steep terrain in the heat and rain, only to come home, scratched, bug-bitten, mud-spattered, exhausted and exhilarated. They are ecologists, and our environmental future is tied to their productivity. For decades, the United States has been at the leading edge of ecosystem science. Federal funding enabled generations of our brightest scholars to venture out, into the field, to unravel the complex relationships among plants, animals, air, water, people, and soils. Field ecologists mine the natural world for scientific insights, producing the raw material that informs environmental decision-making.  The future of federal funding for experimental forests and ranges is uncertain, and Forest Service funding to the HBRF has been drastically cut in recent years. Without stable investment, we will be unable to maintain essential stores of knowledge in a rapidly changing natural world.   With the fall harvest around the corner, this feels like an opportune time to appreciate our experimental forests and the great American tradition of abundant, actionable, homegrown science they represent.  In this issue, you'll read about the impact that Hubbard Brook is having in the world, from the front lines of the Oregon wild fires to climate change science for smart snow-making. You can have an impact by contributing your thoughts and ideas and by investing in our work at this critical time. Anthea Lavallee HBRF Executive Director Last Call for First-Time and Long-Lost Donors! If you are considering your first gift or would like to renew your support for Hubbard Brook, time is running out to increase the impact of your contribution. Dr. Gene E. Likens' 2:1 Matching Challenge for New and Lapsed Donors Now through September 30, Gene will personally contribute $1 for every $2 from NEW and LAPSED* donors, up to $10,000.   Your contribution will unlock essential matching funds while honoring the work of Dr. Gene Likens, one of the most influential environmental figures of our time. As Co-Founder of the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study, Gene’s belief in the power of Hubbard Brook science and outreach is unwavering. So is his faith in private citizens to invest in its potential. With our environmental future at stake, Gene isn’t willing to give up on science. Let's show him that we share his conviction.   * Most recent gift was prior to 2017 DONATE HERE Featured Article Smile, Hubbard Brook Wildlife, You're on Candid Camera! Vassar College researchers are using a network of trail cameras to map wildlife distribution at Hubbard Brook. READ MORE Photos From the Field Click to enlarge The main stem of the Hubbard Brook on a warm summer day Three-day-old black-throated blue warbler nestlings  The 55th Annual Meeting of Hubbard Brook Cooperators included 129 attendees and 1,343 years of collective HB experience Forest Service Project Leader Chris Woodall and PSU students Shannon Brunelle and Liz Jurkowski install a moisture sensor A red eft enjoys the moist forest soil after a rainy day This summer's vegetation crew, led by Natalie Cleavitt Research Highlight Forest soils play an important role in the global methane cycle by absorbing this potent greenhouse gas from the atmosphere. But emerging results from Hubbard Brook suggest that climate change is reducing soil's ability to capture methane. Around the globe, methane uptake by forest soils decreased by an average of 77% between 1988 and 2015. READ MORE Outreach Highlight Jeanne Shaheen, U.S. Senator from New Hampshire, paid a visit to the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest on August 8. Senator Shaheen writes: "I met with scientists and staff members from the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem for a briefing on the incredible research they're doing into our air, water, soils, plants, animals and more. It was a great opportunity to discuss the important scientific and ecological research that's being conducted at the institute, and to learn more about New Hampshire's significant accomplishments in this field." As a resource for decision-makers who care about the natural world, we were honored to share perspectives on Hubbard Brook science, education, outreach, and history. READ MORE Hubbard Brook in the News  What tells forests to produce lots of nuts/berries one year but not another? Granite Geek Study: Warming Winters Give Ski Areas Less Time to Make Snow New Hampshire Public Radio Pollution controls help red spruce rebound from acid rain Associated Press Methane uptake from forest soils has 'fallen by 77% in three decades' CarbonBrief Hubbard Brook's Ian Halm Home from Fire HBEF site manager Ian Halm recently returned to New Hampshire after spending two weeks on a fire detail in Oregon with the USDA Forest Service. As a crew boss, Ian was in charge of 20 crew members from a range of eastern states including Pennsylvania, Vermont, and Maine. The crew started out on the Wilson Prairie fire in northeastern Oregon. After it was successfully contained, they moved on to the significantly larger Sugar Pine fire near Medford, Oregon, where they joined 1,200 others battling the blaze. The fire was still 0% contained when the crew left for home. In addition to the fires, Ian's crew encountered plentiful poison oak, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and hornets—not to mention hour-long lines for food. This was Ian's 27th summer working on fires out West, where he's witnessed firsthand how fire seasons are becoming longer and more intense. Last year, Ian worked on fires in Oregon until snow started to fall. Welcome back, Ian, and thank you for your work! Above: Ian (front right) with his crew. Click to enlarge Below: Ian's working conditions in OR. Click to enlarge Announcements New Advisory Council The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation has created an Advisory Council to serve as an ongoing listening post for Hubbard Brook scientists, staff, and trustees. So far, the council has convened twice: on May 10, for a roundtable discussion of community and ecological resilience, and on July 10 ahead of the 55th Annual Cooperators' Meeting. To see the full list of members and learn more about their duties, click here. We're hiring! The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation seeks a full time Business and Development Manager to oversee projects related to operations and administration. This position will be based out of our administrative office in Woodstock, Vermont. Visit this link for the full job description. Introducing Dr. Alix Contosta Alix Contosta is the new Engagement Fellow for an HBRF synthesis project examining the interactions between forest and community resilience. As a Research Assistant Professor at UNH's Earth Systems Research Center, Alix studies the relationship between land use and climate. Alix and HBRF recently teamed up on a project investigating the impact of changing winters on the people and ecosystems of the Northern Forest. As always, thanks for your interest in Hubbard Brook. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, ideas, or suggestions, and help us to spread the word by forwarding this email to a friend. JOIN OUR MAILING LIST Corporate Sponsors Chester Forest Products Chroma Technology Corp. Durgin & Crowell  Lumber Co., Inc. FORECO LLC King Forest Industries Law Offices of Joyce E. Scott Loveland Forestry The Lyme Timber Company New England Forest Products Northland Forest Products Schiffman, Dattilio & Commpany, P.C. HBRF Trustees Peter Martin, Chair Charles Driscoll, Vice Chair, Syracuse University John Smitka, Secretary   Stan Williams, Treasurer   Peter Groffman Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, CUNY Advanced Science Research Center Steven Hamburg Environmental Defense Fund Fred Hunt Gene E. Likens Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies Nicholas Rodenhouse Wellesley College Michael Shoob Anant Sundaram Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College  Pamela Templer Boston University  Harriet Van Vleck Lindsey Rustad U.S. Forest Service Anthea Lavallee HBRF Executive Director The Hubbard Brook Research Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the Hubbard Brook Ecosystem Study. Hubbard Brook Research Foundation | 30 Pleasant St., Woodstock, VT 05091 Unsubscribe sbc_help at lternet.edu Update Profile | About our service provider Sent by sciencelinks at hubbardbrookfoundation.org in collaboration with Try it free today