[LTER-sbc_grad] Fwd: [CSF] upcoming R workshop

Margaret O'Brien margaret.obrien at ucsb.edu
Tue May 12 15:56:24 PDT 2020

Margaret O'Brien
ORCID: 0000-0002-1693-8322
Information Management
Marine Science Institute, UCSB
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
805-893-2071 (voice)
http://environmentaldatainitiative.org
http://sbc.marinebon.org
http://sbc.lternet.edu

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jon Jablonski <jonjab at ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, May 12, 2020 at 3:32 PM
Subject: [CSF] upcoming R workshop
To: Collaboratory - UCSB Library <library-collaboratory at ucsb.edu>

Please forward to your constituents.

The Library’s Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory is hosting an
online, example-driven, two-day half-day workshop on May 22 and 29, from
8:30am to 12:30 pm.  The workshop will cover the R Studio Interface and
data skills for R. Short tutorials alternate with hands-on practical
exercises, and participants are encouraged both to help one another, and
try applying what they have learned to their own research problems during,
and between sessions.

This workshop will use the Data Carpentry R Basics curriculum.  UCSB is a
member of the Carpentries organization.  Carpentry workshops are organized
around teaching skills that are immediately useful for researchers, using
lessons and datasets that allow learners to quickly apply new skills to
their own work. We are really excited about using this Data Carpentry
curriculum to help our students, staff, and faculty become more efficient
in their research.  Learners will leave being able to visualize a dataset
using the ggplot2 R package.

The target audience is learners who have little to no prior scientific
computing experience, and we put a priority on creating a friendly
environment to empower learners and enable data-driven discovery. Even
those with some experience will benefit, as the goal is to teach not only
how to do analyses, but how to manage the process to make it as automated
and reproducible as possible.

This is a free workshop, but registration is required:
    https://ucsbcarpentry.github.io/2020-05-29-UCSB-R/

Jon Jablonski
Director, Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory
Spatial Data Librarian
UCSB Library
805-699-0058