[LTER-sbc_grad] Fwd: EEMB 595mm Microbial Oceanography seminar

Jenny Dugan j_dugan at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Sun Jan 6 14:34:33 PST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Craig Carlson <craig_carlson at ucsb.edu>
Date: Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 9:19 AM
Subject: EEMB 595mm Microbial Oceanography seminar
To: <igpms-grad at lifesci.ucsb.edu>, <eembgrads at lifesci.ucsb.edu>, <
igpms-fac at lifesci.ucsb.edu>

Hi All,

Happy New year.  Anyone interested in EEMB 595MM seminar in Marine
microbiology/ microbial oceanography please feel free to join us this
quarter.   Our meeting time and place will be in the conference room of the
Marine Biotech building (Bld 555) on Campus point on Weds 2-4.  We will
have an organizational meeting on Jan 9.  There is room
for EEMB 194 MM undergrad students ~4 so if there are some undergrad
students that you know might be interested please let them know as well.
 I will pass out sign enrollment codes at that meeting.

Microbial Oceanography

Microbial oceanography today is an interdisciplinary enterprise poised to
explore a vast environment populated by many uncultured species of
microbes. New technologies for sequencing DNA, RNA, and proteins from
nature, and new methods for culturing cells and studying them in a
laboratory setting, have enormously expanded the horizons of microbial
oceanography.  In this seminar, we will read/discuss the new cutting-edge
studies or reviews that integrate modern molecular approaches with
traditional microbial ecology approaches to examine microbial processes in
the open and coastal sea with the goal of better understanding the linkages
between microbial community structure, microbial function and the larger
biogeochemical cycles they control.  One potential focus will be on
microbial interactions with dissolved organic matter and its subsequent
transformation.  Each week students will read a central reference or
overview paper and during the meeting, each student will be asked to bring
with them a discussion point outlined on for presentation.  The discussion
point can be drawn from the central reading or from other references.

Hope to see you there.

--
Craig A. Carlson
Professor of Microbial Oceanography