[LTER-sbc_all] Fwd: EEMB Seminar March 5th: Dr. Tom Bell, UCLA & University of Alaska Southeast

Jenny Dugan j_dugan at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Sun Mar 4 09:23:44 PST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adrian Stier <astier at ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:39 PM
Subject: EEMB Seminar March 5th: Dr. Tom Bell, UCLA & University of Alaska
Southeast
To: "igpms-all / mgpbusiness (Temp)" <igpms-all at lifesci.ucsb.edu>

Dr. Tom Bell will be giving our EEMB Departmental Seminar on Monday at 12
in the MSI auditorium.

Dr. Tom Bell is a current postdoctoral scholar at UCLA and U. of Alaska
Southeast and will be presenting on drivers of multi-scale dynamics in kelp
forest.

We still have a few slots available during the day on Monday to meet with
Tom. To sign up  click here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IUVIU9WATEc5p0JCmOPrBFZXg4trygvWXxX1gQXGHDQ/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Look forward to seeing you there!

*Insights into the dynamics of giant kelp forests (Macrocystis pyrifera)
across large spatiotemporal scales*

Giant kelp forests are important, dynamic systems that are susceptible to
changing environmental conditions and strong trophic interactions.
Determining the relative strengths and nonlinear effects of these
environmental stressors is vital to understanding the response of this
foundation species to future change. I will describe the automated
formation and use of different large-scale datasets of giant kelp biomass
and physiological condition dynamics to determine the effect of multiple
drivers over various spatial scales (meters to hundreds of kilometers)
across systems in California, Mexico, and Alaska. These findings help us
better understand the processes regulating this species and better inform
management decisions. I will also discuss how this work is informing the
development of an autonomous system for kelp forest monitoring.

--
______________________________

Adrian Stier

Assistant Professor
Department of Ecology Evolution & Marine Biology
University of California Santa Barbara

astier at ucsb.edu
Office: Noble Hall 2108
W: (805) 893 5467 <(805)%20893-5467>