[LTER-nco-comm] New paper on coastal armoring from LTER synthesis working group

Jenny Dugan jenny.dugan at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 15 16:44:10 PDT 2017

Hi Marty,

I wanted to let you know we have a new paper from an LTER synthesis working group that will coming out in Estuaries and Coasts. The paper is a synthesis of the ecological effects of coastal armoring in soft sediment ecosystems. This was the result of a productive collaboration between the SBC, GCE and VCR LTERs supported by the LTER network.

  <!-- /* Font Definitions */
@font-face {font-family:Palatino; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Palatino; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:Palatino; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
-->  Our
manuscript describes our collaborative work to develop a new conceptual model for shoreline-parallel armoring
across soft sediment environments that scales predicted ecological effects of
armoring based on purpose (slow or stop water) and energy of water at the
structure (e.g. tides, currents, waves). We then evaluated the predictions of our framework with
a literature review of the ecological effects of shoreline armoring in different settings conducted by LTER graduate students.

Our paper will be part of a special issue  <!-- /* Font Definitions */
@font-face {font-family:Palatino; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Palatino; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:Palatino; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
-->  of Estuaries and Coasts entitled Impacts of Coastal Land Use and
Shoreline Armoring on Estuarine Ecosystems organized by D. J. Prosser,
T. E. Jordan, R. D. Seitz, D. E. Weller and D. F. Whigham.

Here is the citation for our paper:

  <!-- /* Font Definitions */
@font-face {font-family:Times; panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Helvetica; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family:Helvetica; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1 {page:Section1;}
-->  Authors: Dugan,
JE, KA Emery, M Alber, CR Alexander, JE Byers, AM Gehman, N McLenaghan, SE
Sojka.
Title: Generalizing ecological effects of shoreline armoring across soft
sediment environments.
Journal: Estuaries and Coasts

The corrected proofs of our paper are attached to give you a more information about the topic and contents.

Best wishes,

Jenny

--

Jenny Dugan