[LTER-mcm-pi] more food for thought

Byron Adams byron_adams at byu.edu
Tue Sep 22 18:02:07 MDT 2015

Quick answer is yes. The temp changes other stuff too, which also leads to different niches (I.e biotic interactions).  Question is what genetic variation is there for selection to act on it. If it's there, the organisms can respond as fast as the selection is strong. First change will be in community composition, followed by selection and subsequent adaptation, followed by subsequent shifts in community until the environment stabilises again. What works against this is that the lakes presumably have been stable for so long that stabilising selection should have removed a lot of the variation within populations of each species. Great, testable hypotheses.

- sent from my ice phone -