[LTER-mcm-pi] 5 min gem for the week

Diane McKnight Diane.Mcknight at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 16 20:36:54 MDT 2015

Team, greetings from OSU. here's some  comments  that might relate to
the discussion. I think that the stream diatoms are diverse because
there are many "niches" to fill, ranging from the tolerance of
dessication for years at time (such as the species that are dominant in
Wormherder Creek), to vulnerability to removal by scour, and to nutrient
requirements for N, P and Si. For nutrients accessible by the mats in
the streams, there is actually variability at the patch scale due to
hyporheic upwelling and downwelling  and with time due to flow regime
influences on solute concentrations. Tyler's experiments with the
nutrient diffusing substrates in the streams show significant nutrient
effects.

This more dynamic and chemically variable habitat as a driver for
diversity would be consistent with the 2 fold higher species richness
for diatoms in stream matgs compared to diatoms in the more stable pond
and lake mats.

Cheers Diane

--
Diane McKnight