[LTER-mcm-pi] Fwd: [LTER-site-exec] Pay attention! LTER ASM deadlines imminent

Priscu, John jpriscu at montana.edu
Fri Jul 31 13:45:25 MDT 2015

Looks fine

On Jul 30, 2015, at 3:08 PM, Michael Gooseff <michael.gooseff at colorado.edu<mailto:michael.gooseff at colorado.edu>> wrote:

Hi all,

I didn’t realize we needed to have a site poster for Sunday night…  So, here’s an abstract that I pulled together just now so we have our foot in the door.  I would like to have the poster feature both the ‘megaplot’ from the synthesis work AND some vingettes of specific highlights from across the project.  Feel free to edit this if you like.  I can make changes through to tomorrow…

Title: Increased Connectivity in a Polar Desert Resulting from Climate Warming: McMurdo Dry Valley LTER Project

Authors: all of us in alphabetical order.

The McMurdo Dry Valleys (MDV) is a polar desert on the coast of East Antarctica, a region that has not yet experienced the climate warming that is now occurring elsewhere. The McMurdo Dry Valleys Long Term Ecological Research (MCMLTER) project has documented the ecological responses of the glacier, soil, stream and lake ecosystems in the MDV to a cooling trend that occurred from 1986 to 2000, which was associated with the depletion of atmospheric ozone. In the past decade, three warm austral summers with strong fohn winds occurred and the resulting high streamflows and sediment deposition changed the dry valley landscape,  enhancing physical connectivity of the ecosystem.   Our long term records suggest that soils, streams, glaciers, and lakes are responding to these warm pulses at different timescales.  We expect that climate warming win the region will amplify connectivity among landscape units, though the warm seasons (i.e. events) are pulses of envrionmental change that this ecosystem is responding to differently than the cooling period prior.

Thanks.

Mike

Michael Gooseff, Associate Professor
Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research
Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0450

email: michael.gooseff at colorado.edu<mailto:michael.gooseff at colorado.edu>
web: http://goosefflab.weebly.com<http://goosefflab.weebly.com/>