[LTER-luq] Nick's story

J. Aaron Hogan jamesaaronhogan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 15:02:17 PST 2019

link:

https://twitter.com/USLTER/status/1097173753434234880?s=20
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/71a1fb6b00cf7062da7f015889a47f5a3393c3c3?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FUSLTER%2Fstatus%2F1097173753434234880%3Fs%3D20&userId=1227428&signature=3771e06f8497bdcb>
------

1/ Nick Brokaw wrote a story to share his #LTERLove
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/9df8cb21c3eba17ebad9034a9e1e9910fdfdff0f?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmobile.twitter.com%2Fhashtag%2FLTERLove%3Fsrc%3Dhashtag_click&userId=1227428&signature=7139dc1481100d3e>
for
@LUQLTER
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/4b84d40f4c2b0b5770536fc4038d3b8ac1c9d613?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmobile.twitter.com%2FLUQLTER&userId=1227428&signature=cf303296243a5cc6>
: "I drive out of San Juan, Puerto Rico, on an expressway. I see foothills
and peaks of the Luquillo Mountains ahead. At 15 miles, I leave the
expressway and drive up a winding foothills road... #scicomm
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/f4fd93128ab4329029b8d97e1a60b087bc3ac492?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmobile.twitter.com%2Fhashtag%2Fscicomm%3Fsrc%3Dhashtag_click&userId=1227428&signature=53c3a97aadb9ede9>

2/ ...I cross the Río Espíritu Santo and see mountain slopes above. I enter
El Yunque National Forest and continue ascending, past palms, tree ferns,
bamboo, epiphyte-hung trees. At El Verde Field Station I park my car and
hike into the forest...

3/ ...I cross a suspension bridge over the Quebrada Sonadora. I leave the
trail and bushwhack up and down forested slopes. This trip, I’ve done it a
hundred times. Yet I always feel a frisson of expectation – fulfilled when
I finally arrive at my 30-year old LTER study site...
4/4 ...Here, I savor deep familiarity. But there is always something new: a
Puerto Rican boa, a Pseudolmedia spuria sapling, a forest canopy gone with
hurricane wind. What’s next? #LTERLove
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/d4704a35407046c715f652e6049003fba383de68?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmobile.twitter.com%2Fhashtag%2FLTERLove%3Fsrc%3Dhashtag_click&userId=1227428&signature=7064d8d147d86201>
#tropicalecology
<https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/a9b8f38bb4a3fff84bac861e92817ac577ee5954?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmobile.twitter.com%2Fhashtag%2Ftropicalecology%3Fsrc%3Dhashtag_click&userId=1227428&signature=f3f279c8c1cc67e7>

[image: image.png]
--
J. Aaron Hogan M.Sc.
(970) 485-1412

International Center for Tropical Botany
Department of Biological Sciences