[LTER-luq] Invitation to the International Society of Tropical Foresters

Sheila Ward seward at hpcf.upr.edu
Sat Jan 20 17:37:29 PST 2018

Sorry for cross postings.

Dear Luq-LTER:

We hope you will be interested in joining the International Society of
Tropical Foresters (ISTF). The organization is being reactivated after a
five-year hiatus. With its focus on being a communication network, ISTF
can help you connect with others interested in tropical forests and
forestry. ISTF was founded in the 1950s and “in response to a worldwide
concern for the fate of tropical and subtropical forests, ISTF is
committed to the protection, wise management and rational use of the
world’s tropical forests”. So far, over 400 people from around the world
have joined. For now, the organization will be dues-free, for simplicity
and to encourage broad participation (although this is under
discussion).

If you would like to join, please fill out the attached table and send
it to Sheila Ward tropicalforesters at gmail.com or Teija Reyes
reyesteija at gmail.com . (Please return it as a Word document and not as a
PDF, for ease of adding you to the membership database). This
information will be shared among ISTF members, for sharing information
and establishing collaborations.

For information on the old ISTF see:
1)	Blair Orr’s continuation of the former ISTF newsletter as a
newsletter for the Society of American Foresters International Forestry
Working Group. (Available at: http://www.orrforest.net/saf/) If you fill
out the table, we will add you to the list for receiving this newsletter
2)	The old ISTF web page, still at http://www.istf-bethesda.org/
3)	The ISTF facebook group page at:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2262122534/
4)	Student chapter at Yale University, which sponsors the annual Yale
ISTF conference. (http://istf.yale.edu/,
https://www.facebook.com/yaleistf, https://www.facebook.com/yalefesistf/
  )
5)	Student Chapter at North Carolina State University
(https://research.cnr.ncsu.edu/sites/istf/,
https://www.facebook.com/NCSUISTF/ )

We look forward to hearing from you. Please pass this invitation on to
your friends. We will keep you posted on the progress in reactivating
ISTF.

Regards,
Sheila Ward and Teija Reyes

--