[LTER-luq] an new feature in the LUQ website

Eda C. Melendez-Colom edacorreo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 16:48:15 MDT 2015

Hi,
I have just added what is known as "leaflet maps" (probably due to the symbol used to display a location on the map) on the display of LUQ's data sets metadata.
As an example, please visit http://luq.lternet.edu/data/luqmetadata1 and scroll down to the map of research sites where the data for this data set were gathered.
My next step is to achieve a dynamic map that displays all research sites or research areas that when hovered, each gives a list of data sets whose data are taken in the area.

Please be aware that for many of these locations, I used Google Map to get the coordinates and not a GPS. I based my choice on the description of the site made by the investigator/owner of the data set, a location as annotated by a field technician, and/or nearby sites with well established locations.
Ideally, we should go to the field with a GPS and read the exact coordinates. Maybe we could do a special project to achieve that BUT, in lack of an ideal world we take whatever technology and logic provides us...
Let me know if you have any comments/recommendations for this.
Thanks.
EDA
 Eda C. Melendez Colom Information Manager LTER Program University of Puerto Rico Tel. (787) 764-0000 (1-4943) Fax (787) 772 -1481